Kona Track Two fork - at last!

Danger Will Robinson!

Jez,

You do realize that this fork has been modified/cut mid-shaft in the steerer tube?

Personally, I would not put this on any bike that I intended to ride :(

If you truly wanted a fork of this design you'd be better off contacting Ti Sports, the original manufactuer, and commissioning one. They are very helpful in custom projects like this.

cheers,

rody

I agree, if the weld joint had been lapped it might have been passable but as it's just been butted could be a bit risky. I got my brother to weld a steel steerer for me and we put a 2 inch overlap on it and he's a coded welder and even then I was dubious about hammering it down the rough stuff. It was ok on my commuter. must mention it's still going strong and no signs of cracks.

Ti P2s

Last night I egerly watched as some numpty put a pair of mint Ti P2s on ebay with a BUY IT NOW of $145!!! - around £80!

Low and behold they were snapped up but unfortunately the seller was being a nob jockey and wouldn't deal with anyone outside the US.

This is the real tragedy. There is another pair on Ebay at the moment that will go for way more than that despite having the steerer cut and reweilded.

The guy who bought these forks is a nice chap, but heing is going to do exactly the same so they'll fit on his threadless King Kahuna!

Aaaarrrrghhhh.

How snapped up were they? Bugger.

Did you know you can assign a US address and have parcel2go ship it over for a cost. It sounds worth taking out.

I don't really see the problem. He used a reputable Ti welder to do the work, which I bet wasn't cheap. How many other welds are there on a bike? Most forks have the steerer welded to the crown which must carry a lot more stress than mid-way up the steerer where I'll bet there isn't much stress at all.
I'd use 'em.
As another issue though, are the Ti P2's made from larger diameter tubing than the steel P2's?
Steve.

ti P2

I'm sure they're strong enoungh. With my rudementry grasp of physics and engineering I am sure that the weld would be strong enough. I read somewhere that an inch of weild loosly translates to a 1 ton strength load (here come the replies from all the weilders out there!!!) and the steerer is under tension (very strong) where as it is under torsional flex where it meets the crown (weak point!).

My issue is that I was being hugely anal. I'd love an original threaded Ti P2 to go on an original Hei Hei and to see two classic and very rare forks, one that has been bastardised and the other that is going to be was a triffle upsetting.

Forgive me. while my avatar removes its head from its @rse!

Snapped up.

Hi Jez, sorry I missed you there.

They were on for a couple of hours, buy the time I saw them I tried to buy, couldn't, emailed my mate in the US to use his address, he was already talking to the seller about buying them, the guy apparently was inindated from buyers around the world. Turned out my mate who's address I wanted to use actully won them. I couldn't believe it. I know they are not everyones cup of tea but the pair on ther at the moment are at £380 with two days to go.

£80. I could cry!

Still, I've got my Track Twos so I mustn't be greedy. Also got a lovely Kona Hot in Stars & Bars coming. Gonna have to start selling again!!

Back