why do you ride?

Interesting thread. I got back into cycling a couple of years ago after a long break, had a bike during this time (my GT LTS) but it lay gathering dust, changed my job a couple of years ago and my place of work was 2.5 miles from home, dug out the LTS and started cycling to work, when i did'nt cycle i walked, quickly got fit, started using the LTS off road and started to enjoy riding again (just local parks at that point), started riding proper off road last year with the MacRetro crowd, quickly started spending money and filling the house with bikes, frames and bits, now constantly thinking about bikes, bits, projects and the next ride :LOL:

As soon as i get out on the bike all the pressures of everyday life just disappear, even if its only for that couple of hours whilst i'm out there.

Oh and it stops me becoming a chubby :LOL:

Looking back I've never been without a bike - my parents never owned a car. As a student and early in married life it was our only transport. Later for leisure and when our son got too heavy for a back pack we used a child seat on a bike.

Roll on a good few years and I discovered road bikes, started cycling for part of my journey to work, time trialling and dsitance riding and now old MTBs because I like putting them together!

These days I like the challenge of doing more on my bike when most people depend on the car - spending less on fuel and more time in the open. My colleagues find it strange, the OH despairs of his wayward partner but I don't really mind!

Many reasons really, in no particular order:

As a throwback to childhood.
To enjoy places I miss going too fast in the car and are just too slow to see walking.
To get away from it all, it clears my mind while I'm out and about.
To share time with friends. Or, just as much time alone.
To get fit. If you knew me that would be a shock to hear, but it does get addictive.
Something to look forward too during the working day.
And the bikes themselves.

Relaxing. Thrilling. Hard work. Rewarding. Overall enjoyable.

back in the day there was really nothing more exciting than cool anodized bike bits and being part of a new sport,watching the technology developments and personalising a bike with it......i remember taking my bike to a race with new spd"s and the first pair of mag 21"s i had seen in the metal,people stopped me to photo it.....way,way cool in my teenage mind!!!!!!.....i never lost that feeling and am still dead proud of my klein attitude even though only one person in six months knows what they are looking at!!!.....wierd really as im dead normal in all other areas!!

TheGreenRabbit":2hd3w5vm said:
Because I am selfish its time for me and me alone, when I ride the rest of the world can go and F*** its self.

couldent have said it better myself :cool:

TheGreenRabbit":23ph2pgi said:
Because I am selfish its time for me and me alone, when I ride the rest of the world can go and F*** its self.

I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. much as I enjoy rides with mates, there is nothing quite as cool as a perfect ride on your own. A bit like the one in the episode of Mint Sauce before he got shot in the head with a cross bow. :)

I ride to work because it's cheap and saves me filling the car with liquid gold (petrol) etc etc, but mainly because when I'm on my bike I can really clear my head. Troubles seem easier to think through and when off road, evaporate as your mind starts concentrating on the trails.

Some of my best rides have also been depths of winter commutes; dicing with badgers in Cheddar Gorge at 5am in the pouring rain and dark, although difficult at the time feels like a priviledge now looking back on it. :)

Back