Headtube diameter

dalebuilder

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Just picked up what looks like a Cannondale M600 with XT groupset for £70. It's certainly the lightest bike I've ever owned (Compared to a Saracen Addiction - RIP).
Upon measuring the headtube diameter it read 1 1/4". Is my tape taking the mick!!??
Looking for some suspension to fit but I've a better chance of kissing my own arse apparently!
After a while of Googling I found a 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" reducer that cost me 2 whole pounds, and only 5 miles from my pad.
Would prefer to keep it old school but the ride is well harsh at the mo. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,

BEN

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Those headtube reducers are the way forward. I've used them on a number of bikes and it means that you can use any fork you like without being restricted to a certain age or quality. The alternative is the far more expensive Chris King Devolution headset that basically does the same thing but costs about £125, although I think someone was selling one in the classifieds recently (but may be very wrong!)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Did you get the suspension forks?

Ben,
I'me wondering if you got 1 1/8 suspension forks for the bike in the end?

I've a 1993 M2000 and have also fond that 1 1/4 forks don't exist anymore, considering whether to try to find some forks (use reducer) or not but am concerned with this low headstock frame that long modern forks will simply throw out the geometry.

Probably best to save for a new bike and keep the M2000 for the less extreme stuff as it is a lovely fast machine.

A.

Back