1938 Fleet (Schwinn) C-model Klunker Project

My friend was able to chuck up the adapters today:

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

So, I mounted up the cranks to check to see if my old UN71 115mm BB would work. Looks pretty good!

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

The chainline looks decent too. Not that I could get it any closer anyway...

DSC_0138.jpg

Here's a couple full shots:

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

A little more progress...

The 36T chainring came from RoBa Bikeparts in Germany. Nice business -- very easy to deal with for an international purchase. The 48T can go on the bay.

P1100147.jpg

My friend also had time to turn out the 6061 aluminum seatpost. 13/16" with a 7/8" head. It's just under 17" long, so I should have plenty of adjustment. I think I'll get her anodized too.

P1100144.jpg

P1100145.jpg
P1100146.jpg

J_Westy":agloq3pc said:
My friend also had time to turn out the 6061 aluminum seatpost. 13/16" with a 7/8" head. It's just under 17" long, so I should have plenty of adjustment. I think I'll get her anodized too.

I had the seatpost anodized silver. Turned out nice!
- 6061, 1" bar stock from mcmaster.com
- 13/16" main section
- 7/8" seat clamp section
- just over 17" long

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Wish I had annoized mine now. I have to polish the marks out of it every few weeks. On the other hand, that and the chips in the frame are giving it a nice lived-in patina.
You made any progress elsewhere? Looking forward to seeing it done.

Si

DM":dckczwfh said:
Crank-arm/ BB/ CS clearance looks quite minimal :D

I'm a little worried about that. It was the the BB size I had laying around.

If the frame seems too flexy once I have her together, I might end up changing out the BB for a longer one before things crash.

I had similar problems.

Long story, involving:
120mm spaced cruiser; Wide chainstays for tyre clearance; screw-on freewheel with non-adjustable chain-line; US>Euro BB adapter cups; random crank/BB taper interface... and a crank that I REALLY wanted to fit... but couldn't.

A total lottery getting the random parts to work together, but all good fun! :D

JW,
Different cranks but think I had to go to 121 to make mine work on the DX. Now that the kids are back in school you need to give us an update on whats new with the build?
I know patience is a virtue......

Ductape":1ub1veeq said:
JW,
Different cranks but think I had to go to 121 to make mine work on the DX. Now that the kids are back in school you need to give us an update on whats new with the build?
I know patience is a virtue......

Just contacted a soda blaster today as a matter of fact. I hope to get it painted in October sometime. My kids soccer is the latest distraction. Patience, Patience. :LOL:

Back at ya, been coaching my boys Rec teams for several years. We have our first practice of the season in about an hour....I guess here on the worlds stage though we should be saying football.
T

Latest posts

Back