Pins and needles in my toes,still,any ideas?

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I posted this issue up a while ago but now its really beginning to take the enjoyment out of longer rides. Its starts after about 30 miles as pins and needles. Then it becomes more painful finishing up feeling like i've kicked a door with both sets of toes. I've adjusted my riding position since before and tried flat pedals and trainers instead of spd's.
I am quite heavy and was wondering if the saddle to arse interface :D could be affecting the blood supply to my feet? I've tried a different saddle which didn't help(although it is quite similar to the original one).
Any advice greatfully recieved as this is really p*ssing me off now.
Ta.

certainly sounds like your trapping something under your arse making your toes go numb . try standing for a bit when it happens , if the feeling comes back it could be a sign .

strange that you get that feeling before you get a sore arse

Is your saddle pointing up? I get pins and needles in my toes from time to time and the cause for me is cycling shoes too tight. There is a major artery in your groin so it could well be something to do with that?

+1 on the tight shoes. Most people's feet swell up a bit during physical exercise. I usually loosen up my shoes a tad about 30 minutes into a ride.

Trousers and underwear: make sure you´re not sitting on a seam or have elastics hugging your thighs too tight.

Cheers guys. I'll try tilting the saddle down slightly more but its already pretty much level. I think some new shorts with super thick padding would help. I'm going to try using my old road shoes as they are really wide with my spd's. Can't think of anything else, fast running out of options :?

Could be cyclists hot foot sydrome. If your shoes are too tight the nerves between your metatarsal bones become iritated. I used to suffer with this myself. The cure is when doing up your spd shoes put your full weight on each foot as you tighten them up, this spreads your metatarsals apart which then have room to move when you pedal.

I'll add to the shoes opinion.

If you increasing your riding, dont give up on SPD's as they will help your riding. However, dont have your shoes too tight.

Sounds like its time for some new shoes. I'll tell the mrs we are going shoe shopping, she might see the funny side :D My road shoes are very wide and were always very comfy, but obviously no use to man nor beast offroad. Any recommendations as to a manufacturer who's fit is generally wider than most?

Re: .

Grannygrinder":2y5u9bir said:
Any recommendations as to a manufacturer who's fit is generally wider than most?

I find Shimano quite wide, and long lasting. I had my M110's for 15+ years.

Get velcro, as they are easy to adjust mid ride.

Re: .

Pickle":1c3yw697 said:
Grannygrinder":1c3yw697 said:
Any recommendations as to a manufacturer who's fit is generally wider than most?

I find Shimano quite wide, and long lasting. I had my M110's for 15+ years.

Get velcro, as they are easy to adjust mid ride.

Ditto. My feet are wide with high arches and I find Shimano fits me the best. Their sizes can be small compared to other brands though, a size 10 in other brands might be the same size as a Shimano size 11. Something to have in mind when picking shoes for trying out.

Latest posts

Back