Argos resprayed Koga Miyata

lilolee

Old School Hero
Won on eBay.
It started off as a Koga Miyata GentsRacer 1995 and got transfered from Shimano to Campag in 2000, when he also got it resprayed. It had sat in his father-in-laws garage for the past 5 years doing nothing.

I plan on changing the stem/bars to Cinelli, bar tape to white, with hoods brown with a brown saddle and getting the few scratches sorted out by Argos. When done I will post pictures.

!BZ!)!VgB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLlu3hQBKkmYhM-Fg~~_3.JPG

Specification:
Frame Material: Cro Mo tubing
Frame Size: 21 Inch (Top Tube Length 55cm c/c + Seat Tube Length 55cm c/c (I am approx. 5ft 9 - Inside leg 30 inch, fits me perfectly)
Frame Colour: Metalic Grey
Groupset: 18 Speed Campagnolo Veloce
Chainset: Campagnolo Veloce 53x39
Rear Mech: Campagnolo Daytona (Centaur)
Front Mech: Campagnolo Daytona (Centaur)
Rear Block: Campagnolo Veloce 13x25
Chain: Campagnolo Veloce
Brakes: Campagnolo Veloce
Brake Levers/Shifters: Campagnolo Veloce
Seat Post: Campagnolo Athena
Saddle: Sella Italia flite Titanium Rail
Rims: Mavic Open Pro
Hubs: Campagnolo Veloce
Tyres: Schwalbe
Bars: ITM Pro 260
Stem: ITM 'Big One'

Personally I spot much more resemblance with my 1980 GentsLuxe-S than with any other model from the 1995 line up. Only the presence of a 2nd pair of bottle fitting tells me it isn't a 1980 bike, but something much newer. I don't know. What does the serial tell us?

Actually it was a complete guess because the previous owner wasn't sure. He said he bought it with Shimano 105 on it around 1995. On close inspection the rear brake cable is concealed but entry is on the top whilst the 95 GentsRacer in on the underside. Also the FF crown is different. He was positive it was a Koga.

I'm away at the moment but will post the serial number on Weds.

Here is a picture of the serial number - it reads TI61285 with 5 then 6 beneath.
After studying various Koga Miyata catalogues it may well be a Prologue but not sure what year.
Do I email Koga with the serial?

ArgosSerialNumber.jpg

The 'T' denotes it was a bicycle for the 1991 line up, so most likely your frame is one of the steel ones that can be found in this catalogue

Mel
Thanks for that. It's tricky to know which one from the catalogue without any dimensions. Mine has the pump holder and screw holder (what is that for?) near the front fork crown similar to the RoadWinner/GranWinner/Flyer. I guess without direct confirmation from Koga I'll never know.

One thing is for sure, I won't be putting ShimaNO back on it :LOL:

The 'screw holder': I think you mean the braze on to fit a numberplate holder, here shown on a Gazelle >>

3334396573_3fa2642a6f.jpg

Koga Miyata and Shimano have a history together. Koga was early importer for Shimano too, back in the 70s already. That is why there was not saved on Shimano groupset specs on their bikes ...and why all Kogas were specced Shimano while US Miyata did also spec for example Suntour and Super Record on certain bicycles. Only in 1993, when Koga carried a Max tubing frame in their line up, they 1st used Campagnolo parts. The Max tubing was flown to Japan were Miyata made a frame of it and than it went back to Europe to be sold. For all other models Miyata used own tubing of their own mill (from early 80s on). For example with your bike 3ple butted Spiral Spline tubing.

Nice colour, at first glance I thought it was Ti :) I also have a Koga Miyata Prologue, Elev12k, would you be able to tell the year if I gave you the serial number?

Back