Teenage kicks - Raleigh content!

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
Following this thread, the 753 Raleigh appeared on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

on ebay

I put my bid in late and got it for £300 - which I'll admit is a little higher than I wanted to go but IMO is a decent price for a 753 in this sought-after scheme. I've seen 531 models go for not much less than that - though as Ed and Mel both pointed out prices tend to get higher in the UK then eg in Holland.

I had originally hoped to head up top OWMTBC last weekend, but work put paid to that plan! The seller was near the course and we'd tentatively agreed that I'd collect if possible and if not then he'd post it - so the frame arrived today and was waiting for me when I got home!

First impressions out of the box:

- nice and light!
- it's got plenty of patina
- the headset is amazingly smooth
- the BB less so, but I guess new bearings will fix that

I think that I probably had unrealistic expectations of the frame's condition so I'll admit to being slightly disappointed with the condition of the pain in places - the down tube and BB shell will need some attention and touch-up paint, whilst there's already more touch up paint than I'd expected around the frame. However, it's a 30-year old frame that's been used for most of that time and is in very good shape in that context.

More to the point, this is the one for me - in fact, it's even better than that! I desperately wanted the 531-framed Team Replica when I was a teenager, and now I've got a 753 version instead! I've got more or less a full Super Record gruppo to build it with, plus Cinelli bar/stem and a Rolls to top if off. Don't hold your breath though as all the parts are in storage at my parents' place and it'll be a minimum of one long and frustrating month until I can collect them. Then the build can start!

Cheers,
Gareth.

ps can anyone tell me what I've done wrong in trying to link to the ebay page - normally you choose a couple of words and then you seen them as the hyperlink - not the whole URL

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
sweet, can't wait to see it built and glad those Super Record cranks will be hung on a more than worthy frame.

Oh, it's got the 1980 TdF Tour De France winner's decal on it, like my Raleigh has, a Raleigh Super Tourer (new pix this week, hope the decal photo comes through). My design is a bit different. That's why I even first came on to the site, how do you protect decals I asked, get helicopter tape they told me. (I asked under my old name "femtometre" if one looks for the thread.)

I should try to get some Raleigh info I have at home scanned and into this website.

I almost got a Milk Race Raleigh, I'm sure your frame is nicer, but I like the unique Raleigh products.

'Course, I like the common Raleigh Products too! :LOL:

I know, I know, someone mentions rust on the frame and it can keep one up at night thinking about it. Not to worry.

Raleigh TI, to me, it's difficult to say you payed to much. It's all subjective but it looks like a good n' proper frame even with a bit of rust. If I bought my frame today which is not going to be as prestigious (but it is a Touring Bike after all), I'd be looking at probably £180-200.

That Milk Race Raleigh had a lot of rust. Collectors piece if one collects or just some fun history for anyone.

Fuzzy in my mind, I believe there was a TI Raleigh in the bike of the month competition for August. A rather recent one at that.

Latest posts

Back