Some good bargains.

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I happened to go to my local rubbish dump on monday.
I found a almost new Carrera Vulcan, manual discs, suspension forks etc.
Paid £5 for it!
Turned out the frame was cracked and the forks bent, but still a lot of good parts I can use.

Went back today (I'm looking fo a fish tank to house my fish in while their tank is being repaired) and found a DiamondBack Axis, was about to walk past when I noticed the XT thumb shifters!
Paid £5 for it and found out it had:
XT thumbies
XT f. mech M730
XT M730 cranks with Specialized rings
XT headset
XT hubs (smoother than my 2008 Stumpy!)
Tange BB
Onza bar ends - as new
T Bone stem
XT M732 levers
XT M733 calipers
Tange DB frame + forks.

Also a box of other stuff including:
Promex L Chain "Genuine Romany" it's got DID engraved on every link, made in 1986, new.
Couple of Mallard cassettes
Another few chains,
new axles etc

All this for £5 :)
A good day, also Lidl are selling Digital Calipers for £8, not particulary good quality though!

The DB Axis is pre 1990, but I don't know which year, it is white with black storm effect on the front and rear ends.
It weighs about 25lb
Anyone know what they cost when new?

I was actually at the rubbish dump looking for a fish tank to put my fish in while my tank is repaired!

Sorry, all parts are staying on the bike including the hubs!

DB axis

I used to have a DB axis, I think it was about an 88 with the rear u brake and curved forks with the grey type paint with a purple laquer, best bike I ever had but it got nicked. I think they were about 1k when they were new

Rampage":uo9vftcj said:
The DB Axis is pre 1990, but I don't know which year, it is white with black storm effect on the front and rear ends.
Shimano parts usually have a little two-letter date code somewhere, either a stamp, a casting mark, or a sticker:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Japan/ ... _codes.htm

If you think the XT parts are original, you might date the bike that way. Of course, parts do get upgraded, and some parts might spend a little while in the supply chain before they find their way onto a bike, but it's a start.

Our council now has "no foraging" signs up all over our local recycling centre.

People had been coming to blows over stuff.

Can't think why as I only ever saw crap there......

Back