Parking a car on road without MOT

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
..but with VED and insurance. Is this legal or not?? Conflicting reports on the web.

If it's taxed then why not?

Are we talking 'practical' or 'legal'.

Legally no.

Practically yes, MOT is only required to use a vehicle on a public highway, parking is not really using. The Police will be okay as long as it is taxed. Your insurace company will probably use it to wriggle out of paying a claim.

I would only do this as a last resort now, in my younger days of course I bought a blank mot for £30 in a pub and filled it in myself. :oops:

I think it's illegal since the lack of MOT voids the Insurance..

Not sure how you got a Tax disc without the MOT tho? Do you not have to present the MOT Cert. at the PO?

kingroon":1kxgzt7e said:
I think it's illegal since the lack of MOT voids the Insurance..

Not sure how you got a Tax disc without the MOT tho? Do you not have to present the MOT Cert. at the PO?

The car failed the MOT which has now expired. Guess I'll hae to leave it on the drive until I can find out either way...

John

I presume it was last MOT'ed under the new computerised system, then it is on the database and you can still be prosecuted as the Police will be able to check this without needing to see an MOT certificate.

I wouldn't take this risk myself.

i think you would need to declare it as "off road"

otherwise as said , automatic prosecution

MOT

It might be different today, but a few years back my insurance paid out after I wrote off my out of MOT, Astra.

Back