Frankenbike 01/08 GT i-Drivel-anche 1.0

zigzag

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
April 10
Sold to Velomaniac... and so ends my full-sus adventure, at least for now.

December 09 Build
Gave up on getting the front mini working, so splashed out on a modern Hope M4 instead. Also settled on an EA50 bar, Syncros stem and a proper 140mm Rockshox Revelation Race Dual Air fork.

gtidrivelanchev2.jpg

Original June 09 Build
Take the running gear from a 2008 Avalanche:

Add a 2001 i-Drive frame and Manitou Slate front fork to the mix:

Throw in a BBB stem extender so the forks actually fit :?, some Hope Mini's (once I finish overhauling the front caliper), et voila, je presente le 2001/2008 GT iDrivel-anche.

This is the frame that belonged to longun, and BarneyRubble before him. And while I'm waxing Frenchical, I'll let Barney provide some provenance:

I didn't have the frame from new, it belonged to a former colleague from BITD when I worked in my local bike shop. I got my first i-drive in '99 (an XCR 2000) which developed a tiny crack in the back end (still think it was probably just paint) but Caratti (the GT importer at the time) were happy to replace the whole frame for free, so I now had a 2000 i-drive 2.0. We all eventually left the shop and when I came to get the shock replaced, my mate (now working at TF Tuned - he's called Dave, the bald bloke on their website) said he would sell me the 1.0 frame and push tuned shock you have for the same price as a new shock. I bit his arm off and he transferred everything over for me. As far as I know he got the frame direct from the new importer after they took over from Caratti (2001 I think).

I rode the bike happily until 2007 when I bought an Ellsworth Epiphany and it had to go. A friend bought it for the parts and the frame ended up sitting in his front room all unloved. When he owed me a few quid I had the frame back with the intention of building it, but didn't have the time, so sold to longun on here. It's about time someone made it their main steed again.

This is my first full bouncer, so I'm looking forward to floating serenely over obstacles large and small :) Haven't properly ridden it yet - Fun and games on my shakedown ride last night with the seized front Mini. Ghost shifting on the front mech was also really bad, but I think I've cured that with a longer cable outer around the side/bottom of the BB. Also not sure about the longevity of the fork, but that's something I'd be looking to upgrade anyway - I'm sure it'll do to give me a taste.

Anyway, its not particularly pretty, but cannabalizing the Avalanche was the quickest and cheapest way to get this up and running. Of course, now I've got a tin of Nitromors and an Avalanche frame sitting in the basement... Hmmm, what to do?

Looking purposeful! :D

They are a nice ride, but a little bit fragile....

I bent one the same as yours on the Karrimor Trail at Coed Y Brenin. The seatpost section of the frame collapsed, had a long standing up ride back to the car park. Sad thing was, it wasn't even mine! :cry:

Old friend had the earlier version, XCR.... , he twisted the frame so bad you could actually feel it when you rode it. :roll:

Ouch!

Aye, we'll see how it goes. I don't think it's led a sheltered life, and I'm figuring if it's lasted this long...

Ach, anyway, always fancied one of these, and if the worst comes to the worst I'll have at least given it a go... and it's not like I'll be out of pocket (well not by much anyway) :D

enjoy id bud,i rode it everywere and hard,former bmxer and mtber and it took my abuse.

its the only frame i think ive regreted selling ,i hope it gives you as much fun as it did me :D

Hi Mate, just came across this thread when searching for something else! Looking good, kind of industrial and menacing! ;)

Hope you have had a cahnce to enjoy this over the summer. I loved it and certainly rode it hard with no worries about frame strength. Hope it has proved as enjoyable for you! :)

longun":uqe74icr said:
enjoy id bud,i rode it everywere and hard,former bmxer and mtber and it took my abuse.

its the only frame i think ive regreted selling ,i hope it gives you as much fun as it did me :D

so if it does break in the future you can sue longun!!

lewis1641":1cy2wiux said:
longun":1cy2wiux said:

so if it does break in the future you can sue longun!!
lol! No breakages so far, although riding it has been a bit of a mixed bag. If I'm honest, I think it's probably slightly too big for me (I'm 6'1"). Didn't get on with the Manitou Slate either (too heavy, didn't feel right and probably in need of a strip and service), so after a couple of rides, I swapped that out for the OEM Suntour 100mm fork off the Avalanche, so the geometry is probably a bit out of whack as well (originally it came with a 140mm fork I think), although it does ride much better. I've been through a couple of combinations of stems, bars and spacers, trying to get away from that 'sitting on it' feeling. I reckon I'm pretty close now, had a really good run with it on the Glentress Black at the weekend.

Still in two minds about whether I should splash out and invest in a nice light 140mm fork.

I used a Fox Float RL and it worked a treat with the frame. I think it suits a lighter fork and would really benefit from 140mm as opposed to 100mm. They do have a fairly high BB, so if you are used to something at the other end of the spectrum it will take some getting used to. When I went from the I-drive to the Ellsworth I was smaking the BB on everything because it was so low in comparison! :)

yup i mainly rode with 140mm epicon forks,suitad it perfect imo,only added the manitous for thesale tbh,glad your still liking it,only bike i still regret selling,hopefully ill have a softtail againt his saturday :D

Back