Team Raleigh Dyna-Tech ex Adrian Timmis. Finished Project.

mine's better:

team_raliegh_mtb_189.jpg

sinnett177":nzgx18sq said:
Really enjoyed today, all that hard work paid off. Adrian was instantly recognisable back on his old Raleigh.

2008_122810011.jpg

Please ignore me if this has already been said, I haven't read all of the thread.

Imagine how cool it would be to have someone turn up with your bike from 15 years ago, all fresh and crisp. I can think of few things nicer.

I appreciate it's probably different for Timmis as he will have been given so many bikes over the years, but even so it must have been a pretty cool experience.

Update:

It’s been a while since this thread was updated but a lot has happened since. One thing is for sure, the fun never ends with this bike.

dp1.jpg

A few months after the build the bike was the ‘Featured Bike for the Month’ for March 2009. The first time any of my bikes had made the front page of Retrobike, what a buzz seeing my pride and joy on the home page each time I logged on.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/?p=205

Although the bike failed to make BoTM (Bike of The Month) at it’s first attempt, it was deemed worthy in a ‘Team Bike’ BoTM special in June 2009. A great honour for me and once more the Raleigh graced the front page of Retrobike.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/?p=279

The bike has been well ridden since it’s restoration and I’ve very much enjoyed doing the riding. It has completed many of the Retrobike meets this year and so I thought I’d update this thread with a few pictures.

North East and Yorkshire Group Meets:

dp2.jpg

dp5.jpg

dp3.jpg

dp8.jpg

dalby2.jpg

Scunthorpe Meet:

sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

Retrobike Big Dirty Weekend:

dw2.jpg

dw3.jpg

Since joining Retrobike my aim has been to start competing again after many years away from the sport. The Raleigh has been integral in bringing my fitness levels back to a reasonable standard. The great thing about this bike is you cover the miles so quickly as really is a no nonsense machine that just wants to go from A to B quickly with no frills. Often you find many miles have passed as you reminisce about the bikes history and wonder what stories it would tell if it could. So with fitness levels on the up I’ve competed for the first time since 1993, firstly at the Hell of the North Cotswolds (HoNC) endurance event and then later my first race back at the Original Source Mountain Mayhem 09.

HoNC:

honc2.jpg

honc3.jpg

honc4.jpg

honc1.jpg

Original Source Mountain Mayhem 09:

mm1.jpg

mm2.jpg

mm3.jpg

mm5.jpg

The Raleigh adventure will continue with ‘Mr. K’s Day in the Peaks’ later this year and the ‘Kielder Octoberfest Marathon‘. I would have liked to have taken the bike over to Holland for the ‘First Old World MTB Championships’, but sadly a leave pass isn’t forthcoming on this occasion. Hopefully next year we can tempt Adrian Timmis to come and ride the event when it comes to the UK and reunite him with his old steed once more.

Obviously the bike has been well ridden and suffered a few knocks along the away. It’s had a couple of minor mechanicals and I’ve subjected it to a few spills too. But that’s what the bike was built for. I do try and give it as easy a life as possible, but the problem is it’s just too good not to ride.

To summarise the fun just does not end with this bike and I already know there are many more tales and pictures just around the corner, so another update cannot be far away.

Many thanks to all the photographers also Gus, Jack, Si, Daj to name but a few.

Stunning pics :cool: but must say that the bike looks even better in the flesh the yellow is so vivid and flourescent you need sunny's :cool:

Hey Mark,

I've been out of the loop for a while... Retro spending had to end for a while so I had to go 'cold turkey on ebay and retrobike :cry:

Great to see you flying the raleigh flag at the races.

You know, I emailed Raleigh with a link to your story and had a rant about them missing the 'retro revival' and suggested that they could do a lot worse than make an early 90's Team Bike re-issue frame and be proud of their racing heritage instead of hiding the brand behind this MTRAX badge as they seem to be doing in the latest ads.

It would get them a lot of airtime with the magazines for sure.

I saw the guys from Corratec [who Raleigh are distributing] on Cannock Chase some weeks ago and they told me that my email and your story was brought up at a product marketing meeting! Who knows maybe we will see a Limited Edition Team Raleigh re issue after all :cool:

In the meanwhile I have my eye on an R8 [bike, not car :LOL: ]

Ride and smile,

Chaser.

Chaser, great to have you back. Love the story about the re-issue, what a great idea that is.

I guess this bikes story is ongoing once more, as it makes an appearance in this months 'What Mountain Bike' magazine in a retro v modern 5 bike shoot out and fairs well in the write up. I'll update the thread with the pictures (which look fantastic) once I get them from the photographer.

Back