Oh dear!!, headset/headtube problem

chris king make custom bevelled headsets to fit flared headtubes. worth the high price if its a rare/priccy/ emotional attachment, frame.

Just put a King in a 'new' frame and the bottom cup pushed in by hand and then moved the King to my Kahunna.Put a new Hope headset in the 'new' frame and had to use the press to get it in.

thrustyjust":385wjnal said:
Just put a King in a 'new' frame and the bottom cup pushed in by hand and then moved the King to my Kahunna.Put a new Hope headset in the 'new' frame and had to use the press to get it in.

given the king tolerances I know what I'd be worried about. early rockshox king crown races could occasionally be loose fitting; again not a king problem ;)

I've used hope headsets, happy to get a year out of them & the bearings are toast.

Would it make you happier if I resprayed my Cannondale in coca cola livery pete hmmm? lol, thanks for all the help chaps at least I know I can get it sorted now thought I might have had to start looking for another frame I like. It is a strange headtube to be honest though its recessed slightly more around where the cups go in the original headset was a nice snug fit but has never been changed so made me wonder if headset and headtube were a funny size. Can't wait to get riding it again with all its new old bits lol will be like its been reborn.

is that a 1" head set?

there are 2 1" standards, the JIS and the more common European standard

The JIS head sets have a 27.0mm crown race and 30.0mm cups. The European standard 26.4mm crown race and 30.2mm cups. So a JIS cup would fit too loose in a standard head tube.

Carsten

One-inch Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS)
Common on many Asian manufactures bicycles, both road and MTB
Fork column outside diameter- 25.4mm (1")
Head cup race OD- 30.0mm
Acceptable head tube ID range- 29.75mm to 29.9mm
Fork crown race ID- 27.0mm
Fork crown seat OD acceptable range- 27.1mm to 27.2mm
Stem diameter at quill- 22.2mm

One-inch "Modern European" Standard
Many road bike and some MTB bikes
Fork column outside diameter- 25.4mm (1-inch)
Head cup race OD-30.2mm
Acceptable head tube ID range- 29.9mm to 30.1mm
Fork crown race ID- 26.4mm
Fork crown seat OD acceptable range- 26.5mm to 26.7mm
Stem diameter at quill- 22.2mm

Back