Mavic Aksium wheels...Opinions please.

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am thinking of treating my Dyna Tech Roadie to a 14th birthday present.

Has anyone got any experience of the Mavic Aksium wheel set.

They look nice and will modernise the ride of the old girl but are they any better than the equivelant cost hand built wheel set, Mavic rims on Veloce hubs, for instance?

Your input is appreciated ;)

My mate bought a set for his SBC Tricross, he uses it with a kidseat on the back, everyday to work. They've been superb for months now, still true and smooth :D

I've got some, not ridden yet but seem true, smooth and look good (Cycling Plus this month say that they could be better sealed - I've no evidence either way).

That said if I could have got Open Pros on Veloce for £90 posted (what I paid for the Aksiums) I'd have gone for that without a second thought - a good quality, solid wheel (although if the frame will take 135s I'd go with XT hubs, I've got that combination on a cross/road bike and it's great).

I agree, Mavic on Campag is a great combo, my Dyna Tech has Mavic Open 4 CD's on Campagnolo Athena hubs but the block (maillard screw on) is wearing out and I can't find a new one to replace it :cry:

So I thought some modern wheels and space the freehub to take a 8 speed block.

I've got some on my cross bike and they are holding up well, smooth and true still.

Not the lightest, but feel good and look more swanky than the £119 suggested.

pic in readers bikes if you want to see 'em on a bike. (Dale cross bike)

Have now used mine and comments hold - not super light but look just the job, would probably have to spend quite a bit more to get better (mine cost £90 posted).

ededwards":26jdcpx0 said:
(mine cost £90 posted).

wish mine did. I replaced some Spinergy's with a bearing problem that looked to be loads of hassle and (all beit weeks later turned out to be a fiver!) and now don't know which ones to sell!.

Wu-Tangled":31eiftd0 said:
ededwards":31eiftd0 said:
(mine cost £90 posted).

wish mine did. I replaced some Spinergy's with a bearing problem that looked to be loads of hassle and (all beit weeks later turned out to be a fiver!) and now don't know which ones to sell!.

id sell the spinergys ;) hint hint!!!

I ordered a pair for my Dynatech - arrived today. Alas the tyres didn't due to a stock problem, and the tyres on my now training wheels are knackered so I don't want to swap. Drat, I'll have to wait another couple of days before I can get out on them.

2-3 years ago wheels like this would have cost £300+ smooth bearings, swanky bladed spokes and built to what looks like a very high standard.

Back