the Blizz

go4low

Dirt Disciple
My 1994 Rocky Mountain blizzard. If not 1994 than please help me find out what it might be. It's my main ride. :cool:

a non-white/black Blizzard :D Is it very dark metallic green? Following on from my mystery Rocky thread a while ago; someone said the Blizzards were only ever black + white but looks like green was an option too :? Out of interest, what serial no is your's and does it have a Tom Ritchey stamped BB shell?

Took mine round the Marin and Llandegla black trails at the weekend - to my shame for the first time - the Blizzard is undoubtedly the best handling bike I've ever ridden (not ridden a Pace RC200 properly :( ), it felt so easy to flick through the singletrack - makes something of a nonsense of the mtb industries continual stream of marketing hyperbole when it comes to "innovation"

I have to agree with you Sam R. My blizzard is the best handling hardtail I've ever ridden. Way nicer than the stiff "hydroformed" and gusseted bikes coming out of the marketing machine today. (A generalization, I know, there are some nice new bikes being made). The paint on mine I would consider black with a metal flake. Sort of like the old "bass Boat" painted schwinn homegrowns from the late 90's, but the metal flake is less pronounced. It does apear to have a bit of green in the sparkle but you really have to look closely. No one would look at it first glance and say its green though. Is there a pic of your frame anywhere on the site?

my serial # is BOO69. No Ritchey stamp on the BB. The dropouts are Rocky Mountain. I pegged it at 1994 afer seeing the catalogs. Though my paint is not found in the catalog, 1994 was the only year that listed Tange Prestige Ultimate Ultralite Tubing. So I figure that's it.

It is a generalisation but I think the hydroformed thing is a good example of marketing leading design, but hey ho I've got a Blizzard.

re: paint yep I thought it was black til I got real close and in fact where I've touched it up with black paint you can hardly see the difference. The green appears to be in the sparkle or even laqueur.

The S/N begins BL... I'll get the rest tonight and yep Tange Ultimate Prestige, Ritchey BB & RM stamped drop outs.

No pics as it really is in a disgraceful state, with shot paint, BB, forks and the Rond headset is rougher than moss side.

Ne1 know where to find info on Rocky Mountain Bikes history? I've seen the site with the catalogs, but I would like to see more. I'm sure there is some rocky fanatic out there with a site dedicated to this great canadian manufacturer. (formerly great IMHO. now they are owned by Canada's largest mass market bike company, Procycle.)

There are a couple of guys on here who are into their Rockys, with a lot of knowledge.

I have a 96 Altitude built up now and it is a fantastic ride. Quick, and responsive. Well up for a good hammering. Used to have a 93 Altitude when it was new too, but never owned a Blizzard :?
I think a lot of the retro Rocky info has found its way on to this sight now, not seen much more around the net.

Pop up some bigger pics too, would love to see more.. :D

go4low":yeis7o8t said:
Ne1 know where to find info on Rocky Mountain Bikes history? I've seen the site with the catalogs, but I would like to see more. I'm sure there is some rocky fanatic out there with a site dedicated to this great canadian manufacturer. (formerly great IMHO. now they are owned by Canada's largest mass market bike company, Procycle.)

Anything in particular that you are seeking history-wise? No Rocky fan sites that I am aware of, sounds like something that should go over well. I'd do it, would that I had the time. For now, there are a few hardcore fans here and at mtbr's vintage forum.

I would agree that everything went a bit off when they went corporate. "Nothing gold can stay." - Robert Frost

To my mind, the best Rockys were the handbuilts - Blizzards and up - and thankfully there are still lots of good hand builders around. I read that steel may be coming back into its own: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... /nahmbs063

Back