my 2008 SEVEN 29er (single speed content)

thrashin

Dirt Disciple
I actually pulled the carbon fork off and put on a steel Salsa one. i like the feel of the steel fork alot more... even though its ugly. quick run down,

Sola steel frame
On-one carbon fork
Thomson stem and post
Easton carbon bars
OG Flight saddle
Bontrager race cranks
Hope mini brakes
Hope front hub
American Classic rear hub
Stans rims

3886521948_3d9df5d55b_o.jpg

3885725443_1c8c08ae13_o.jpg

3886521962_8c2528b7c6_o.jpg

and a pic of it in action... with the salsa fork
3760008948_bc1b94c536.jpg

mmmmmmmm Seveeeeen!!

Tips head back and makes gurgling noises like Homer Simpsom!! :D

Much nicer with the cromo fork IMHO.

Al.

Hmmmm also interested in your views on then 29r v's 26"

How much did it cost to build if you don't mind me asking

Nice, very nice.

I've been enjoying my 29er for fast XC riding in Holland since 18 months or so, and I also enjoy a Singular SingleSpeed.

Shock! This months German "Bike" mag has an article on 29" vs 26" racey hardtails. In true to style German fashion they measure everything and try to objectively pit them against each other. Result: the 29er is clearly faster. Average over all recorded lap times the 29er pulls a 20 seconds gap on a 13? minute lap. That's with very fit Transalp racer types BTW

Bike is the mag that has been the epicentre of the Euro bastion fending off the big wheel fad form the yanks for the last couple of years, and now this.... I guess this makes it official ;)

Enjoy!!

I've been riding 29ers for the last 5 years or so. Before I built the Seven I had a Surly Karate Monkey that I also set up as a single speed. In fact less than a month after going to a 29er I sold my custom built Kelly deluxe. I have way more fun riding a 29er, its faster, doesnt beat you up, and rolls over everything with ease. For a daily rider/racer i wouldnt ever go back to a 26" bike. I would say if you havent ridden one you are definitely missing out.

As far as the cost to my build goes.... well I picked up the frame used for $500 US dollars. I also work at a local shop, so it wasnt as much as one might think

I too ride a Steel rigid 29 er , its perfect for the flatlands of Suffolk and Norfolk .

I have to agree its a lot more forgiving than a Alu 26 inch wheel bike and once yiou get a 29 er rolling its a joy !

I run a 29er for commuting on a canal towpath (flat) and it's nice.

I imagine with proper 2 inch tyres and in steel they are very forgiving/smooth bikes to ride

Back