Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

Hy WD Pro!
i have such a marin frame like yours. i bought it a year ago, and i didn't even know the name Bear Valley, until i found your topic.

thanks for the topic, and good luck to the work!

marin3.jpg

To be honest I dont know what all the fuss is about... I bet you cant do all that machining whilst chewing a Rowntrees fruit pastel?

BTW.... the shop that took to the forks with a hammer.... give us the address and we'll send in the heavies.

when your done with this build ive got a Muirwoods languishing in the garden that could do with the same treatment. how does £31.50 and a set of rusty allen keys grab you? .... I could even throw in a philips screwdriver, I know you like your tools.

;)

Can't believe I missed this thread until now. Wow. :shock:

Fantastic project. I may have missed it thus far, but I'll be checking the thread regularly from now on...

Build of the Year!!!

This thread is stunning, i love the Ti shotblasting! that is a beautiful finish you have there. :shock: :cool:

I've spent an hour of my saturday morning reading this in anticipation waiting to get to page 11 thinking it would be finished. But no i must wait!

Thinking i may have to now get on with my project.

Stunning, inspirational and F**King brilliant!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks for all the nice comments :)

I know, I know, it should be finished now ...

My other half has been making something though which has taken up a lot of my time :cool: :

IMG_0236.jpg

Things are settling down a little now though so back on with the Marin and the ProFlex I aquired :)

I had been thinking about the repair on the forks and it was bugging me that they may fail at some point and I want it built to stay built, not to have to re build it for a repair that could have been avoided - especially as I only have two of the tange fork stickers and I want them on the completed bike for the first ride, but not on a fork I may have to replace) :(

I managed to pick these tange forks up of eBay to use as a back up plan :

DSC04263.jpg

The dropouts are not as nice as my current ones though :

DSC04267.jpg

But other than that and the length of the steerer they are identical, even made in the same year. I was sad enough to weigh them and they are 20g heavier but I guess that is just the longer steerer.

So the plan is to strip them, de boss them, strip the ones off the Marin and parcell them both off to a good frame builder (recomendations appreciated).

The instruction will be to repair the black ones (if possible) by braze and then recut. If not possible then to cut more thread and shorten the steerer on the yellow ones.

Which ever set will be used can then be packed off to Windridge with the ProFlex stuff for fresh powder :cool:

Will keep you posted ;)

WD :)

congrats on the new (non-bike) addition to the family! :LOL:

was wondering what happened to the project, having not been updated in a long while.

glad to see it's still in progress, albeit on the backburner. ;)

Back