new lights this winter- whats the best bet?

When you mention the dazzle factor I have found that the torches/lights do allow me to be seen alot easier. BITD I used to be blinded by drivers basically not seeing me till it was too late, full beam in the face then plunged into darkness. I would think that the beam from the torches if anything would only be in a drivers face momentarily and should n'y really cause too much of a problem. With the torches mounted and on you do have to position yourself right in the path to be dazzled.

The torches have a couple of settings (2 or 5, depending on model). The lowest setting is not too bright to dazzle and fine for lit streets. For unlit streets you will be glad of the extra power and if you need to dim the light, it's via a quick flick of a button near to your handlebar.

:D

If you order from dealextreme just expect delivery to take a good few weeks (at least 2 from order date in my experience). If you have read the reviews, you will also probably know this, but just in case, be aware that you cannot use standard batteries with these torches - you MUST buy the batteries and charger recommended on the website. They are peanuts anyway tho', which helps :)

tozi321":3p6kt47g said:
Thanks for the comments-so -it looks like the cheapest route to inexpensive,very bright lights is to adapt one of the new type,high output led torches.As I mentioned (sound like a whittering old git here) I imagine these super-bright torches are going to dazzle as there will be no cut-off to the beam,but is it simply a case of directing the light down-but then do you loose the range-it's certainly very appealing to at last be able compete with car lights for brightness,but as some cyclists are already getting stick for agressive riding,I bet it wouldn't be long before some journo/stand-up latched on to lights that "blind" -or maybe thats overstating it! and does anybody care anyway.

This is a discussion group after all good man. No one should be shy to post I'd think.

I'm thinking of buying a Led Lenser P7 with bike mount. Also a torch but it has different settings and an adjustable beam. 200 Lumen max. output too.

INDECS":1sydt79e said:
I'm thinking of buying a Led Lenser P7 with bike mount. Also a torch but it has different settings and an adjustable beam. 200 Lumen max. output too.

I probably wouldn't. Check, but afaik Lenser's aren't "regulated". This is the most useful feature of a good LED torch - it means that brightness is kept largely constant as the battery runs down. Unregulated lights start bright and drop very fast. Typically a 200L unregulated light will be a 200L for five or ten minutes, average 50L for the next fours, and then whimper on it on an average of 5L for the next 2 days. This gets written up as "200L maximum output! 2 day battery life!" by the ad people. A Fenix would be much better.

Zoom optics tend not to work well with torches, especially LEDs. You get dark rings in the beam, which can be a pain if you're trying to avoid obstacles.

I got an honourable mention on that candlepower forum a few years ago, they'd found a story on our team's now defunct website.... I'd become fed up with being blinded by idiot car drivers on my commute so I locked myself in the man cave and made a 500w, 20,000 lumen bicycle light. Powered by 5 RC car batteries wired in series and held in two water bottles, it weighed a ton, ran for about 5 minutes and needed 30 hours to recharge, so, you know, not entirely practical. But I did get to wear sunglasses at night and car drivers would literally pull over and stop until I passed.

Unfortunately it melted shortly after completion(!!) but for a few brief moments, I like to think that some payback was handed out on my local roads.....

OK I'm new to all this lights-wise - what would be the minimum lumens that I would need to be useful for off road night rides?

orange71":2vmuxngy said:
OK I'm new to all this lights-wise - what would be the minimum lumens that I would need to be useful for off road night rides?

Have a look round wiggle. The exposure ones start around 200 odd lumens whereas the more expensive hopes are around 450 odds. This is where you start to see why the torch option is popular, 900 lumens plus batterys etc for 50 quid, add in another helmet mounted one for a few more quid and your laughing. If your handy you can make up battery packs to increase burn time.

Latest posts

Back