Kamo Klunker, update 31/10/09.

jimihendrix":lmcihw4l said:
Na Dave, you've picked me up wrong, spacing on the frame is standard 135mm so will take normal gears etc, the hub i wanted to use is 115mm but managed to space out the axle to fit the frame using washers ;)
Everything on the frame is common size, 27.2 seatpin, 31.8 seatcollar and front mech, 1.1/8 headtube, 68mm BB shell, i used a BB with a 110mm axle but maybe a 113mm would be better with gears.

Cheers Jimi, I'll probably end up buying one now! Another fine mess Retrobike got me into.

XCDave":3dal2brh said:
jimihendrix":3dal2brh said:
Na Dave, you've picked me up wrong, spacing on the frame is standard 135mm so will take normal gears etc, the hub i wanted to use is 115mm but managed to space out the axle to fit the frame using washers ;)
Everything on the frame is common size, 27.2 seatpin, 31.8 seatcollar and front mech, 1.1/8 headtube, 68mm BB shell, i used a BB with a 110mm axle but maybe a 113mm would be better with gears.

Cheers Jimi, I'll probably end up buying one now! Another fine mess Retrobike got me into.

Yesssss! Another one in the Klunk Klub! :cool:

Got the new bars and front brake lever sorted last night, bars were easy, just stripped with drain cleaner and a shim made from an old seatpost shim.

Brake lever was a bit of bother though, the clutch cable on a motorbike must be a lot heavier than a cycle brake cable, the hole for the cable end was too big and the slot too large, decided the best thing to do was make the barrel end on the cable larger somehow, did this by cutting a small piece of microbore copper pipe, cut a slot in it for the cable to fit into, pressed the barrel end in and plugged the ends with Quick Steel, seems pretty solid. Solved the too large slot problem with a bit of plastic tubing from the inside of a V-brake noodle.

Sorry about the crappy photo's, camera is junk and the battery was going flat :roll:

cableend.jpg

Delighted with the bars, they really set the bike off and feel great, BMX cruiser bars would have done the same job but these are easier to find and are cheaper.

May go for a pair of brown grips to match the saddle but the black Syncro's one's on it dont look too bad.

First muddy ride thismorning, rides great, weight is'nt too bad, recon it's around 30lb, brakes are fine, only mechanical was the rear wheel shifting slightly causing the chain to slacken off, going to make up a shim for the axle later to cure this.

klunk1.jpg

klunk2.jpg

Going out again in tomorrow morning, need to get those coaster brake drifts nailed

:LOL:

Looking good dude. One thing though...Bar angle, they should be angled back to roughly the same angle as the forks (give or take 5 deg).

Si

why did i look at this. i think you have just cost me money...

i bought the mrs a felt cruiser last year and have been looking for one for myself. whenever one has come up it has always been too expensive.

i spotted those frames on ebay and thought about it but decided against it. now i am really really tempted.

top bombing

proper bodge :D looks crazy, can't wait for a go.

ps on one have wooden grips(?) might look the part?

lewis1641":2ecsbp74 said:
why did i look at this. i think you have just cost me money...

i bought the mrs a felt cruiser last year and have been looking for one for myself. whenever one has come up it has always been too expensive.

i spotted those frames on ebay and thought about it but decided against it. now i am really really tempted.

top bombing

It's a decent enough frame for the money, has some ugly cable guides right on top of the top tube though and has a large bracket underneath for a side stand, i got the grinder out and cut all that crap off :LOL:

Great thing is it's all standard sizes so easy to build, i used fat Spinner forks but P2's or even Z1 Bombers would look good :cool:

jimihendrix":59w3orvx said:
Going out again in tomorrow morning, need to get those coaster brake drifts nailed

:LOL:

Coaster brakes are the utter bawz fur skids(z)

Back