1941 Schwinn DX Klunker

Absolutely stunning resto. I know how much work goes into those old Schwinns- a real labor of love.

Gets my Bike of the Month vote in a very tough month.

Si

I'm far too nicer a fella to use a saying like 'trouser tent' to discribe your Schwinn!

Although i do find myself getting a little tingly down stairs!! :oops:

I must apologise to our younger viewers for using such filthy language.

Al, :D

more than lovely :D
I think the "klunker" craze is starting gathering speed ;)
and for the better
bravo
I know it is going tougher for us on the other side of the atlantic to participate ( even tougher in France) but let's have a try ;)

"I know it is going tougher for us on the other side of the atlantic to participate ( even tougher in France) but let's have a try ;)[/quote]"

No doubt finding the frame will be a challenge, but I believe you may have the scoop on other expenses if you choose to go with the klunker standard TA cranks, rings and Brooks saddle. I have been watching TA's on the bay for a long time and the majority seem to be listed in the UK or France. They can certainly be more expensive than the frame. I just Paid about $165 U.S. for two prewar C frames (no forks) shipped from the midwest, which would make them about $80 apiece. I would jump on the the chance to get a decent TA setup for that same price.

Probably a stupid question but why do sellers balk on shipping international, If the buyer is willing to pay all duties and taxes and increased shipping charges? If I were to take the time to list something on the bay, I wouldn't want to cut out so many potential bidders.

If one of you find an old frame in the Seattle area shoot me a PM. I am sure we can figure a way to get it over there.

Thanks for all the great words of encouragement.
T

Starting to look at TA stuff ;)

what do you reckon are the good teeth numbers one should go for a klunker ?

be it with only
one chainring ?
two chainrings ?
three chainrings ? ( like D's S cyclotouriste triple crankset)

so as not to have nice looking but little usable TA chainrings :?

Well, for starters, this is only my opinion on the topic.

Sticking to era correct, you will probably have a 5 or 6 gear Suntour winner freewheel that was offered in several gear combinations up too as wide as 13/ 32 ( pretty sure but just going by memory which sometimes isn't correct). That said, wouldn't it be great to have a nice 26/38/48 spread up front. Figure out what you use on your regular steed now, then interpolate how you are going to ride your klunker and adjust here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

I believe the reason the TA's were used on the original klunkers is because they were a good choice in a triple chainring setup for the time. In my opinion, if you are not going to use the triple rings, there may be other crankarm choices available. I knew on the DX build I was using an internal hub with a single ring up front so didn't feel the desire to use TA's. Looking at vintage cranks of the era, I had never seen Campy Pista's on a klunker (I am sure someone has done it, I just haven't seen it yet) and wanted to do something different. I think the Campy's came out looking sweet and era correct with a 1980 date stamp.

Back to the original question. These things are just Challenging enough to Acquire that I would adjust my build to whatever rings I could get my grubby little hands on. I do have put aside a new 52 tooth TA ring along with new Bullseye middle and small ring (Bullseye used TA bolt pattern on their original chainrings). The Prewar C frame I am currently gathering parts for will have this setup. Being tall, I would love to find some 175 or 180 TA Crankarms. TA had a large spread of rings available while they were being made. The pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer all the time.
Grab the good ones and put them aside.
Hope this makes sense
T

Back