Pre Kona lava dome?

Yes.I think these are in a different serial format.I did ask him if the 2nd digit is realy a three and he stated yes.I would like to see what the components are and see if that would tell what year they were possibly made.

Hi.Your sn starts with T89xxxx..Yes that probably points to a Taiwan made
in late 89 for the 1990 year.That holds true the new year model being available in the year prior.

Well after alot of hours searching i have found the answer.My bike is a Lava dome.
I searched alot and found this Review of a Kona 29r and came across some interesting info.I stated.....

This Explosif 2-9 is perfect for my oversized 6'6" carcass. Unbelievably, the frame mimics the EXACT fit of my 1989 Cascade/The Bicycle Group frame. FYI - Cascade was Kona when Joe Murray raced back in the day. The old Cascade attempted to solve headset stress by making extra long headtubes and a (then radical) sloping top tube. My old 23" frame has a 9" headtube, and is set up with Bontrager/Rock Shox Mag (no not Mag 21 or Mag 10, those were later - just plain Mag) shocks. The Explosif's shorter head tube and 100mm shocks perfectly ape the front end of my ancient friend.

So i emailed this person and and this is what i got.

I sold The BIcycle Group - Cascade line (Kona) bikes through Desert Sports in Terlingua, Texas back in 1987-89. Desert Sports under an old friends management still rents and sells Konas.My bike is a Lava Dome, red with sloping top tube, tall head tube, and Spinner-Koski forks and Deore Grupo. We rented a lower line which I don't remember the name of anymore; it had the Alivio components.

Joe was working for Jacob Heilbronn, and team-rode with David Turner of Turner Bikes. Dave tried hard to explode my heart - and let me realize I wasn't pro-grade, but loved the ride.

Attached are some photos.

Sincerely,

William D. Green, PG

Here is the exact same bike ,but for a tall person.Same color,under chainstay brakes,deore components.

Attachments

• DSC00735.JPG
    DSC00735.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,624
  • DSC00740.JPG
    DSC00740.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,624
:shock:

You'll never get me up on one of those things :LOL:

Good research work ...

Q - What does the PG stand for after William Green's name?

Also found this recently
Kona Timeline

• Kona is founded by Dan Gerhard & Jacob Heilbron, with offices opening in Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, BC. First bicycles are introduced as Cascade, but changed later in the year to Kona. Joe Murray is the first bike designer/product manager.

• First race team consists of Joe Murray and Dave Turner. Joe is inducted into the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame.

• Distributors in England, France & Sweden bring Kona to Europe.

• Kona introduces the first set of front/rear MTB tires: Maximum/Reaction designed by Joe Murray. Other MTB tire sets introduced include Break/Enter, Equilibrium/Propulsion and Lumpy/Gravy.

• Grassroots racing program introduced in October. More than 3,000 riders have raced for Kona since the inception of the program.

• Project Two, the first straight leg MTB production fork is introduced. Throughout the Kona range today, there are more than 10 versions of this fork produced for 26”, 29” and 700c wheel mountain and asphalt bikes.

• Ex-roadie Bruce Spicer (now Brodie) races on the Kona Factory MTB team.

http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/Information/258

Back