my 98-00 Muddy Fox (freeride?) bike

racedoctor

Old School Hero
*See page 2 for a more up to date build*

This bike started life as a Saracen Forcetrax in about 1995 and gradually evolved through 4 frames and a whole range of different kit until it arrived at where it's at now and has pretty much stayed them same for the last 8 or 9 years.

Most of the parts I managed to get cheap when I worked in a bike shop so didnt always get to choose exactly what I would have wanted or the right colours but it's not too much of a mismatch.

I went out on it for a quick spin yesterday and it's all running great, perhaps could do with the brakes and forks servicing and I need to get another Nokian 3.0 tyre for the back. Also need either a set of wider/ higher Magura boosters or splash out on discs (meaning new wheels as well)..

bike3.jpg

bike5.jpg

bike6.jpg

bike9.jpg

bike7.jpg

bike8.jpg

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

Parts List:
Muddyfox 2000 Dual Slalom frame
Marzocchi Bomber Z1 1998 (LE Magic Yellow apparently)
BETD fork brace (for 3.0 tyre clearance)
Magura Tomac brakes
L&M Downhill Crank
Middleburn 48T Downhill ring
Half a DMR Speed guide (Pending either modification or removal)
DMR V12 pedals (+Terra pins)
XT 9sp shifter 1999
XT 9sp Cassett
XT bb
XT rear mech
XT rear hub
LX chain
Hope Fatso front hub
Planet-X BMF rims
Planet-X stem
Azonic bars
Yeti grips
FSA Orbit XLII Headset
X-Lite sqewers
X-Lite stem stackers x3
X-Lite Stem plug
X-Lite Disco B.B’s
X-Lite Crank caps
X-Lite Kevlar/ Titanium seat
Misc seatpost (was just whatever fitted)
Hutchinson Jumbo 2.45 tyre
Nokian Gazzaloddi 3.0 tyre

Things I would like to add/ change;

Hope discs
Hope Big Un's (old style) blue
Nokian Gazzaloddi 3.0 tyre for the back
Some nice decals for the frame, never seen any I want yet :?
Not sure weather to stick with the 48T ring or go back to my old 42T + DMR speedguide..

Discs all the way on that badboy fo schure!
I'd downsize the chainring too, 48t is massive. Nice cycle though my friend.

SEANSTEPHENS":iy32264v said:
those yellow bams look pretty cool (1999 By the way)

what size are them tires? they're massive

They are 1998 Z1's, i'm 99% sure as they are 100mm travel.

I have a 1999 Windwave/ Marzocchi fork chart here and there were 3 types of Z1 in 1999 -

Z1 Drop off, 130mm travel, Green, plastic adjuster like the cheaper range.
Z1 BAM, 130mm travel, Orange or polished/ orange.
Z1 Dual, 100m travel, yellow, with 20mm through hole axle.

I remember at the time being a bit miffed when the 130mm travel ones came out after i'd bought mine.

The front tyre is a 3.0 x 26" the rear is a 2.45 x 26" but looks bigger imo. I'm hoping to get a 3.0 for the back but not found one yet, plus need to check it fits (might go and do that shortly, i've kept putting it off).

im no expert on these forks, but have had a few..... my 1998's have different dropouts (which were changed to the ones on yours in '99) and 1999 was the first year in which they were fitted with IS dik mounts

SEANSTEPHENS":24yzz71k said:
im no expert on these forks, but have had a few..... my 1998's have different dropouts (which were changed to the ones on yours in '99) and 1999 was the first year in which they were fitted with IS dik mounts

This is the Bomber Z1 1998 manual..

http://manualer.happymtb.org/marzocchi/1998 z1 bam.pdf

Z1 BAM (page 20) has my drop outs.

Z1 'Alloy' (page 21) has the old drop outs that you speak of, which I believe were also used on the 1997 Z1's (twin disc mounts).

However, I see what you mean about the disc mount.. and mine has the 99 sticker set. BUT I've still got the manual and it's a 1998 manual :?

Just to add to the strangeness.. Mine came with the 1998 brace which I've just found in the bottom of my draw. The 1999 Z1 brace was slightly more detailed.

So I seem to have some half 98/ half 99 Z1 Bam's. The serial number on them is Z1 499919, so if anyone happen to be reading this can confirm what year fork that is..?

all i can remember is whats cast into the leg isnt when it was made . i cant remember if its before or after the casting

the brace is usually a good way of telling . the more machined it is the newer . the brace is easily changed though :LOL:

and you can buy 2010 stuff now so its entirely possible that the 99 was available in 98

i can see me going through copys of dirt and grip tomorrow :LOL:

good spec . would look cool with the biguns and some sport hopes

i rode with a guy not long ago who didnt know what the discs were on my dmr :LOL:

" hope , old hope " :cool:

im after a couple of sport levers but the bay has got wise to them and they seem to be going for similar prices to minis at the moment :(

an mrp would be ace on it too

perry":2ayfwzti said:
all i can remember is whats cast into the leg isnt when it was made . i cant remember if its before or after the casting

the brace is usually a good way of telling . the more machined it is the newer . the brace is easily changed though :LOL:

and you can buy 2010 stuff now so its entirely possible that the 99 was available in 98

i can see me going through copys of dirt and grip tomorrow :LOL:

They came with the 1998 brace which was not swapped prior to me buying them as I was working in the shop at the time and took delivery of a few pairs the same in that colour. This was before we got any 1999 Marzocchi stock. I remember the kids who were always in the shop at the time thinking they were odd as Z1's were always Orange.

Then when I found out about the new 99 range I was slightly disappointed as they were now coming out with 130mm travel.

If you could check your old Dirt mags that would be great :) if it's a farily early mag than you should see our 2 (or was it 4?) page Race Doctor advert. Many a late night each month was spent with my boss laying out the new advert.. trying to beat all the other shops prices :LOL:

the ones in the manual have older decals that yours though, and it doesnt look as though they have been repainted

Left:1999 Right:1998 - i'll post the '99 manual below

Attachments

• pbpic3624482[1].jpg
    pbpic3624482[1].jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 11,821
Back