ProFlex 1996 856 Rebuild - ON HOLD !!!

I'll be following this one too. After the purchse of the Beast for my g/f (at least that's what I've told her) I've also purchased an old 757 Expert and some Girvin Expert Crosslinks with the aim of doing a custom build for myself. I should start a thread on this too really...

OK, got all the pics uploaded so here they are :

DSC04271.jpg

DSC04282.jpg

DSC04276.jpg

DSC04272.jpg

DSC04278.jpg

DSC04277.jpg

DSC04273.jpg

DSC04275.jpg

DSC04274.jpg

DSC04279.jpg

Are those defo vectors then as they are different to other I have seen around the stem area ? :?

WD :D

Yes, those are definately Vectors. Mine are the same with carbon legs.
100_3051.JPG

One certain way to know is that vectors came with the canti hanger, and crosslinks did not. Depending on the shock, you will get about 2 to 2.5 inches travel from the fork. The ODS shock is oil damped, and usually 30 weight is inside. I prefer about 10 weight.

Callum at RDI has sponges if you prefer to go that route as well.

Nice bike :cool:

Thanks for the link to (RD) I have signed up and shown interest in a pair of springs, also found out the forks are a 'vector 2 (new)' acording to the descriptions on there :D What stems were fitted to these bikes when new ? cant decide on keeping it OE (ish ;) ) or full on modern ...

As you seem quite clued up on these expect a few questions / mither from me ... :oops: :LOL:

The Vector 1 it's own stem with the shock mounts welded on it. I hate those. So I think Vector 2 had whatever they could get, and did not have to be special made. There were some girvin branded ones at the time.

I gained a lot of knowledge over at the Idriders K2/Proflex site.

http://idriders.com/proflex/smf/

Now the pics are up could one of you kind PF experts give me the correct part numbers for the rebuild kits ? I want to do a full bikes worth i.e. Vector 2, main swing arm pivot and the damper brace to swing arm pivots. Could also do with a set of concaved washers for mounting both the front and rear shock tops.

The picture of the kit listed above seems to be the complete frame set but what about the fork and damper mounts ?

Cheers,

WD :)

Looks good. I can confirm that RDS springs are good, better than the origional elastomers by a fair bit. My 856 is still going strong and is still used around 3 times a week the now.

Resident ProFlex experts - Am I right in thinking that to completely rebuild this I need a RK002, 5 & 6 kit ?

Cheers,

Back