Got an '83 Cannondale frame.

spaceman

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone, just found this site. I'm not a hardcore cyclist, just like playing around with them some, & enjoy working on them, though I'm no expert. Yesterday I picked up a bare frame, & identified it as an '83 by the serial #, AA00690. The seller called it a 23"/58cm ST300, which fits as an early sport/touring frame, as many were sold as just the frame. Part of me wants to restore it with a period-correct parts group, but part of me wants to put newer lighter stuff on it. So I guess I'm looking for suggestions & ideas, from people who know more than I do about these things. BTW, the paint is definitely chipped here & there around the edges, but overall not bad looking at all. Anyone know if there's a source for touchup paint? It's the black/glitter color, looks like. Thanks much for any help.

Attachments

• ST300 002 (Small).jpg
    ST300 002 (Small).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 699
  • ST300 001 (Small).jpg
    ST300 001 (Small).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 699
  • ST300 003 (Small).jpg
    ST300 003 (Small).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 699
You could take informations at "www.vintagecannondale.com"
1983 is the first year, Cannondale built a frame. The mtb frame appears in 1984.
This 1983 frame wasn't a race frame but made for going far, with lugages (ST, T for touring, SR, R for race and SM, M for mountain…)

Have a look there

and there !
1983can.jpg

Thanks for the cool links, 24pouces. I found one page of that brochure in a search before, but the whole thing is much better. I'm going to have to think hard & experiment a bit, on the drivetrain, this was built around a 18-speed setup. I actually found a nice Shimano 600 double (with a monster 52t outer chainring) for cheap that I might use, but the inner chainring sits mighty close to the frame. Should be fine if I change to a smaller chainring. :)

Back