1 x 9 Setup - Show us yours :-)

letmetalktomark":2tykvjlk said:
Excellent. Looks like this weekend may be an ideal time to experiment.

What do you think my chances are of just using a bashguard?

I don’t really want to have to buy a specific chain device.

Is it also best shortening the chain again once happy with the 1 x 9 thing?

Use one of thesegood but cheap bashguards and one of these to stop the chain derailing on the inside.
Both excellent stuff.

Andy R":2lhi57cz said:
Oh, all very true but a typical cassette will be about 260 grammes and a rear mech about the same. That's still about 1000 grammes lighter than an Alfine.
Don't forget the freehub hub itself - another 400g or so. I'm not quibbling over a few grams here and there - a Rohloff or an Alfine will nearly always add weight compared with the derailleur(s) it replaces - but adding two pounds - as a question of simple mathematical fact - doesn't turn a 19lb bike into a 23lb one...

But on the other hand with an IG hub you don't have a chain slapping around, dragging in the mud and collecting branches.
That's why I bought one. OK, two.

kaiser":b3onadx5 said:
Short cage will not take as big a sprocket, furinstance short cage XT is 28 max.
When you say "short cage" ... this gets complicated ...

I'm not clear about the status or existence of true "short cage" rear mechs in the mtb world. I've seen some - I've even owned some - but I'm not completely sure that they weren't put together from bits of road mechs. I'd like to know the straight dope on that.

When we say "short" we often mean "medium" - or GS in Shimano speak, "long" being SGS. The specs Shimano gives for the two versions of the 737, for example, differ in the max. wrap (33 vs 38 teeth) but not in the max. sprocket (32 in both cases):

http://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shimano/T ... 7_1994.gif

That's as you'd expect. Grafting a different cage onto the same parallelogram only changes the amount of chain slack the mech can wrap up. It doesn't affect where the upper pulley ends up when the parallelogram is fully extended.

SSA50070.jpg

my daily niner.

blackspire 34t + truvativ cranks,guide,pedals,sram chains and gears & shifter,Xt derailleur + avid rollamajick.

works like a clock.

jack flash ?

yes mark you will want to make the chain shorter . not so short its putting strain on the mech but short enough that its nice and snug on the largest sprocket . set chainline to the center of the cassette ( it should be that way already ) less likely to drop the chain off the ring at either extreme end of the cassette

This is my 1x9 set up running a 48T front. My DMR Speed guide couldnt deal with this ring so it's half off at the moment while a decide if I want to mod it some how or go back to my old 42T. I actually find this DH ring to be fine for most of my riding (mainly messing about in the streets) but not really tried it out on an major off road stuff. Had no chain-off or gear slip issues without the DMR guide, I like to think thats my excellence at setting up the gears though :p

bike1.jpg

perry":1z7kz6ro said:
jack flash ?

yes mark you will want to make the chain shorter . not so short its putting strain on the mech but short enough that its nice and snug on the largest sprocket . set chainline to the center of the cassette ( it should be that way already ) less likely to drop the chain off the ring at either extreme end of the cassette

Yep

Planet X Jackflash.

Traani":qh5qnpsn said:
SSA50070.jpg

works like a clock.

Sorry man, and I don't mean to sound like a dick... but that thing is as ugly as dirt. Back wheel looks like a catcher's mitt.

Did that thing and the red pig two posts later actually get posted in Retro chat? ;) :LOL:

utahdog2003":2h018twe said:
Traani":2h018twe said:
SSA50070.jpg

works like a clock.

Sorry man, and I don't mean to sound like a dick... but that thing is as ugly as dirt. Back wheel looks like a catcher's mitt.

Did that thing and the red pig two posts later actually get posted in Retro chat? ;) :LOL:

well everyone has their two cents.

here the jackflash is retro amongst dirt riders.

and what comes to "catchers nett"...well,i dont know you mean but if you are talking about basenball ( ? ),then i donno what to say.
its Mag30 24" with 2.6" gazza,nothin special to me,as here its very common to use 24 inch wheels in dirt/downhill bikes.

and i posted that pic just cause it was about gears,so i thought it would be about those who rides em,and opinions about those things,not so much about are thy fitted into bikes that You approve as retros :cool:

But good provo,i give you that.

Back