Schwinn Homegrown 4Banger - Converted to Straight6

Baulz

BoTM Winner
Here is my bike just about finished it's winter upgrade.

This is my 3rd 4Banger, the other 2 are cracked like most others. Found a longer shock and used a spring from a GT Lobo shock to convert it into a Straight 6, well Straight 5.6 to be exact. Also managed to convert the rear 22mm brake mount to IS but kept the 160mm rear rotor, had to use a Hope mini front caliper on the rear and do a bit of grinding.

Some parts have changed since this photo, XTR M952 cranks replaced the RF Turbines, and the floating rotor is gone, but I have installed a front brake!

Attachments

• converted 4banger.JPG
    converted 4banger.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 6,146
beautiful... i am looking for a yellow straigh6 and they are difficult to find, nice job there!
How long were the new shock and spring?

fingers":39omauva said:
Schwinn homegrowns are great machines, awesome paint!

Where did they break??

They broke around the lower and upper pivots on the front triangle. The frames improved each year as time went on.

ditto that, I have two 4 bangers, one has 4 cracks in the front triangle, the other has 2 :-(

still riding one of them though...just cant stop, they are awesome bikes...

anyone who knows of a 15inch bike, frame or front triangle in the UK let me know!

Matt

Updated pic from summer holiday.

Added the M952 cranks a little while ago and wish I stuck with the Race Face. The spider is bent, did not notice until they were installed. The chain chews up my chainguides and falls off far too much. The parts a bit of a mess from all over the place, but there is a lot from 1999/2000.

I think it needs more gold bits, maybe a headset?

Attachments

• Sept 019.jpg
    Sept 019.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 5,711
fingers":1aiyclxj said:
Gold highlights and some gold psylos ;)

Yes. :D Have been thinking about a gold psylo, that black one is just about toast. I should have some gold bolts kicking around, derailleur pulleys would be nice too. Need to paint the chainring to match the cranks, it looks terrible right now, was better with the carbon bash guard before, I may put that back on.

Back