Kamo Klunker, update 31/10/09.

jimihendrix

MacRetro Rider
Had this on the back burner for a while, finally got it riding yesterday so thought i'd post some details up.

Fancied a Klunker of my own after having a brief shot of Dr-S's fantastic creation but doubt i'd have the skill or patience to source all the special bits and carry out the machining etc, spotted a modern cruiser frame on E-bay, at £40 it was cheap enough to get and mess about with even if it didn't work out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BANKRUPT-26-WHEEL ... 286.c0.m14

The frame is a Barracuda Tia, typical low end oversize alloy, non replaceable mech hanger, non slotted cable guides, didn't matter though as i planned to run it as a single speed, the 5lb + bare frame weight is'nt an issue either.

Was a bit reluctant to call it a Klunker at first, thought it'd be an insult to genuine Klunker owners so called it a Bomber but Dr-S told me i could call it a Klunker so Klunker it is :LOL:

Wanted the bike to look as stripped, basic and simple as possible with the minimum of cables so decided on a coaster brake for the rear, initialy was going to use canti's on the front but spotted a new Sturmey archer drum on the bay which seemed like an excellent idea :LOL:

Spacing on the rear coaster hub is too narrow for a mountain bike, 115mm i think ?, but managed to space out the axle with washers, luckily the axle is plenty long enough to get the nuts on, rear sprocket is non adjustable so had to fit as narrow a BB axle as possible and run the chainring close to the stay to get a decent chain line, unable to use a tensioner with the coaster (it would get crushed when the brake came on) so i filled the dropouts to get the chain tension right.

Frame was given an initial blast of satin black, ground off the cable stops, brake bridge, mech hanger and stand bracket, also ground the brake bosses off the forks.

cuda3.jpg

This is it mocked up with the bars and wheels of my LTS.

bomber.jpg

bomber2.jpg

This is it as it stands just now.

PICT0022.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

Those bars are temporary, waiting on these 6" rise motorbike ones, jumped the gun, ordered gold ones then spotted he had silver ones which would have been better so will strip and polish these when i get them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIT-BIKE-MOTOCROS ... 286.c0.m14

Just needing a suitable lever for the front brake and it's done for now.

Will eventualy be painting it dark blue with the cream dart front and gold pinstriping but i'm quite digging the semi ratty look :D .

Will post a pic with the big bars on it.

Frame, Barracuda Tia
Fork, steel Spinner
Headset, Da-Bomb, will be getting changed, seals are crap :roll:
Stem, 100mm Tioga
Bars, 28" Renthal style high rise with cross brace (still to fit)
Seatpin, ???????
Cranks, FSA
BMX chain
Saddle, Brooks
Tyres, 2.2 DMR Moto
Rims, Halo Combat
Brake lever, Motorcycle clutch lever (still to fit)
Brake, cable standard Shimano.
Rear Hub, Velosteel coaster brake
Front hub, Sturmey Archer drum brake
Grips, undecided, will be brown to match the saddle.
Rider, lumberjack shirt, flared denims, rigger gloves, big beard (false :LOL: )

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
loving it jimi, so comfy to ride round the streets not sure I'd take it to a trail centre but cant wait to see you do it :twisted:

kaiser":wuyyrhjm said:
Crazy fool :LOL: I'll let you test it eh?

Probably right, i'll be the only one in the country riding a trail centre with drum brakes.

I'll either ride it like a god or crash like a loon :LOL:

I would love a photo shoot with my modern clunker build nose to nose!

Same frame completely different direction!

Great job you've done. I have a 700c cruiser buld in the offing shortly.

Al, :D

Still think you need another stem :? Maybe a bmx/jump one, are the mx bars 22.2mm you could get a stem to suit.

kaiser":7jo6h6gv said:
Still think you need another stem :? Maybe a bmx/jump one, are the mx bars 22.2mm you could get a stem to suit.

Not a huge fan of square stems, did try a modern style CNC stem on it but it just didn't look right, also 100mm is short enough for me even with the mega wide bars.

The Motorbike bars are 22mm so need a shim made up but thats no problem ;)

Your project sounds interesting Al :) , any pics ?

did you get a lever? you could maybe get a motorbike one? have a look on ebay for cable lever.

Back