new lights this winter- whats the best bet?

tozi321

Dirt Disciple
starting to get dark now at the end of a ride,i decided on some new front lights ( got an old lead acid set up)-after much thought i was thinking b&m ixon and a hemet light to see my hrm and computer.Mostly dark unlit country lanes,am aware of dazzle problem with some lights,hence the ixon,not sure which helmet light,or indeed any feed back on the ixon.I guess upto about 90 squids? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Try:

MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 2-Mode LED Flash light (18650) from Dealextreme in Hong Kong. It's way brighter than anything else at the price and although its a torch, you can buy the torch, a bar mount, batteries and a charger for approx. £60 (depending on exchange rates).

http://www.dealextreme.com/

I have one and very pleased with it last winter. If you Google the MTE torch you will find lots of positive reviews mostly on bike forums

Thanks Richard.The MTE certainly has top marks in the reviews.I was a bit concerned about the dazzle factor as the reviews are mostly off road-do you think I'm worrying too much?

I have 2X 230 lumen torches and should be getting a 900 one through any time :twisted: power extreme :D

Thanks for the comments-so -it looks like the cheapest route to inexpensive,very bright lights is to adapt one of the new type,high output led torches.As I mentioned (sound like a whittering old git here) I imagine these super-bright torches are going to dazzle as there will be no cut-off to the beam,but is it simply a case of directing the light down-but then do you loose the range-it's certainly very appealing to at last be able compete with car lights for brightness,but as some cyclists are already getting stick for agressive riding,I bet it wouldn't be long before some journo/stand-up latched on to lights that "blind" -or maybe thats overstating it! and does anybody care anyway.

Toz have a look around candlepower forums and mtbr's lights sections

The MTE has just landed :D awesomeness. I'll use this on the unlit roads and the other 2 around town.

chers Kaiser-must say,the whole subject seems quite complicated-used to be the brightest thing was from eveready ( about one millionth lumen!) and a funny 4.5 v battery with bendy brass bits that always gave trouble-and we all lived in matchboxes in the middle of the road......

Back