Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:53 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:26 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Apropos of the recent brakes poll http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70125...

In 1992 Hope released their first disk brake using a floating caliper and mechanical actuation. After a year of racing on the hose-clipped version I gave my 1991 GT Karakoram forks to Dave Yates who brazed a custom mount (think - a flat plate of steel with the right holes drilled and tapped into it by Hope) onto them. At the same time he removed the cantilever bosses and resprayed the fork gloss black.

I used to swap between this fork for NEMBA sundays (XC day) and a Pro-Circuit suspension fork for Saturdays (DH). Here it is during the hillclimb in 1993 at the Nationals, Malvern.

The fork and caliper are now for sale.

The fork has a 1 1/8" steerer tube, and will fit headtubes up to 10cm in length. It comes with period stickers.

The Hope mechanical disk brake caliper features the later, revised (think more effective) spring mechanism that was fitted from the third batch onwards. These calipers were designed to work with standard cantilever brake levers, such as SS-5 or SS-7s (as above), but in my experience they work better with V-brake levers.

Images will zoom if clicked...

Image Image Image

I'm looking for £50 as a startiong point for haggling.

You'll still need to find a suitable Hope front wheel and disc - it will work with:
    early large flange/bolt on disc

early titanium hub/screw on spider, e.g.:
    I may be able to provide this type of hub and cracked spider.

early titanium hub/splined spider, e.g.:

Postage is estimated at £7 (box + recorded delivery).[/list]

Register or login to remove these adverts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:13 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Can't believe I missed this when it was up....

Hi nick,

I know it was a while ago you since you posted your ad but I might be interested any early cable hope stuff you have for sale.

Ideally I am looking for a rear caliper and hub to go with my front one, but I like the idea of the forks too as I have gone through a few of the brackets, what is the steerer length? Is it threaded and how long is the threaded part?

Some of the pics no longer show up though can you re-link them?

You can see my 91 set up in my signature (on my 92 GT Xizang)