13000+ mile 1995 Saracen

redzero

Dirt Disciple
This is my 1995 Saracen Tufftrax, one of the British made ones and the low end of their top line at the time. 531 tubing and a very nicely constructed frameset.

It was a bike I covetted when skint and won in a competition in a bicycle magazine that lasted only a few issues.

I used it solely off road for a few years then it began a new life as a (32 mile round trip) commuter during April - November for 5 years, hence the mega mileage!

It retired from that when I went self employed in 2004 and since then it has returned to being a pure trails bike. Yes, it still has road tyres on, simply because they are the last of a bulk load of Michelins I bought and I try to stick to dry trails now anyway. I do not do mud any longer!!!

The STX groupset has fared remarkably well. The deraillieur is the original as are the pedal cranks. The rear cassette has been changed around a dozen times, maybe more and the front chainrings 4 times. It has had several miles of chain, so many chains I've lost count!

The pedal crank cartridge bearing is the fourth only because I changed each one with the front chainrings. They would have lived longer I'm certain.

I can't rightly remember but I think this is the 5th set of wheels, Mavic rims on Deore hubs. The bars are replacements, the originals snapped and the stem is a higher one though I'm considering putting the original Ritchey back on.

The gripshift changers are the originals!!! Admittedly they are a bit tatered now though but I'll persevere with them till they are past useless. :D

The original seatpost collapsed off road before I started my big commute and this replacment has been on ever since. The seat is a cumfy wumfy replacement, but only the third one.

It has a V brake on the front which is unoriginal, simply because it was an easy conversion with a massive improvement over the original.

I did run pure SPD pedals on it for a good few years but it's now got some half'n'half SPD/flat pedals so I can either wear Shimano shoes or a pair of Converse if I'm feeling really retro. :D

It ain't pretty. I don't really do cosmetics, but it still works and is still in use. I still love it to bits! :D

HPIM3598.jpg

HPIM3601.jpg

HPIM3604.jpg

HPIM3599.jpg

HPIM3600.jpg

HPIM3602.jpg

HPIM3603.jpg

Excellent - this is what bikes should be used for :cool:
Instead, many seem little more than birthday prezzies used three or four days a year and stuck in a garage/shed for the remainder of their slowly oxidising existance :cry:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Very much appreciated.

It's been very easy to live with and fix in that time. Regular lubing, applications of WD40 and replacing stuff just before it breaks (usually) has been the order of the day.

It'll never be everyone's cup of char and it sure ain't pretty but I love it and I've no intention of replacing it with a more modern MTB. The more it slips behind technology and fashion, the more it matches my own diminishing abilities. :LOL:

Back