1990 Marin Palisades

bmystcl

Retro Newbie
Hey guys.. hope everyone is fine n' dandy. Can't believe I've only recently discovered this great site.... its a real 80s/90s retro inspiration!

For me the late 80s/early 90s wasn't just a great era for MTBs and mad colour schemes it was also the era of................ errr.... Rick Astley?

Anyway checkout my misus 1990 Palisades with only mods being slicks, saddle (retro Vetta on the way.. still have the original Marin saddle but its totally knacked) and rear XT mech (got the original Exage300 in a drawer).

She had servere cable snap the other day so took her in to Evans to get replacement and this actually happened... the jerk behind the counter chuckled to his colleague 'want a Marin?' in a very sarcastic way! These kids don't know they're born (damn that makes me sound old).

Thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC05702.JPG
    DSC05702.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 3,998
  • DSC05709.JPG
    DSC05709.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 3,992
  • DSC05716.JPG
    DSC05716.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,992
  • DSC05717.JPG
    DSC05717.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 3,993
Friend of mine had that exact bike BITD

Great condition. Got to laugh at the c0cks at Evans...clueless!

That looks to be very well looked after, despite the trip to Evans.
Gotta love the early 90's Marins. :cool:

One of those was my first MTB.

I still have it (now converted to a drop bar tourer). Over the years I have toured on it in the USA, Alps, Pyrenees, Andalusia, the Danube, Australia and New Zealand. It's had its saddle nibbled by monkeys in Malaysia and I commuted to work on it for two years in Singapore.

It would be the bike I would rescue first from a blazing garage. It's just really nice to ride, even if not particularly special in terms of high-end kit. The handling is great - 45mph with 4 loaded panniers and a barbag is steady as a rock, and I once overtook a camper van on a mountain road in Colorado -somewhere on that descent I topped out at over 50 mph.

Great bike, and lovely condition too - the only thing left of mine is the frame and cranks!

Cool :cool: dad had the same model (but it got stolen) and I had the bv.

That's stood the test of time (a lot) better than mine did though, I ended up with a full strip down !

1990 PALISADES

now there you can believe "one careful owner".
love em...never had an early nineties marin...now i do!
my 92 palisades will be in user gallery shortly.
welcome to retrobike. :D
p.s if you get sick of looking at that 300 rear mech il av'it! ;)

Back