Lemond Carbonframes 1992

paul_tea

Devout Dirtbag
After two years of collecting parts for it, I've finally finished my Lemond Carbonframes:
DSCN1444sm.jpg

The frame is the 2nd generation Carbonframes made for Lemond by Craig Calfee, with horizontal Ti dropouts rather than vertical and a "nude carbon" finish. Parts are:
C-Record Delta brakes.
8 speed C-Record gears, cranks, hubs.
Campag Sigma 20 rims
Vittoria Chronometer CX tyres (time trial specific - maybe not a great idea on a road bike!)
Regal Saddle on C-Record aero post.
Time Equipe Magnesium pedals
Mavic stem, Scott Drop in bars, Benotto tape

More images in my gallery:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=62837

tasty, I really like your set up, calfee is top notch and you have one beautiful bike. Bet riding that for the first time was quite rewarding!

I remember… With this frame, Greg lemond was the first racer to arrived in Paris (It was the 1992 Tour de France). He didn't win the stage or the Tour, but he tied to escape from the peloton.
If I still remember, he had a scott bar ;)

His solo break onto the Champs-Élysées was in 1991 on the previous version of this frame (still very similar). He did use the "Drop In" bars to good effect on that stage!

Thanks bwhsh8r, it was great to ride it after all the time collecting parts. It's totally different to my daily ride (a Cannondale), very smooth and deceptively fast. The brakes are pretty weak and the gears probably need a lot of tweaking, but despite that it still puts a big grin on my face!

Hey sorry to bump this post, but is this the same frame? It's up for sale not too far from where I live, immediately reminded me of this Lemond with the webbed carbon lugs.

framek.jpg

Have to say it does look very similar frame wise.

If you decide not to go for it might be interested myself, where is this up for sale??

I am no expert on the more modern Calfee frames but that is what it looks like, has a similar seat clamp bracket to mine. Never seen one branded as a Fausto Coppi though. The expert on Calfees Paul needs to comment on this......

The Calfee tetra frame (branded originally as Greg Lemond) is still made today under the Calfee brand

http://www.calfeedesign.com/tetra.htm

Although $3600 new !!! they do turn up on ebay from time to time around the £600 branded as Calfee.

Any questions you can contact Calfee direct you will get a personal email from Craig Calfee direct...nice personal touch.

Looking forward to riding mine in the Summer I have all the bits now for a full replica rebuild bar the Time pedals I cannot find anywhere new or as new condition :(

The original Calfee designed frames (mine above, the Lemond branded one Tim has and the Tetra models they sell today) are lugless - the tube ends are wrapped in carbon fibre and pressurised in molds, what Calfee calls high pressure lamination.

The frame above looks similar to the more modern Luna and Dragon Fly models Calfee produces, where lugs are molded from carbon fibre and the tubes glued in. The lugs on the Luna/Dragon Fly frames look very similar to the pressure laminated frames - ie with the webbing.

The Coppi frame looks different enough from a Luna/Dragon Fly that I'd say it's almost certainly not from Calfee. Eg, internal routed brake cable, the ends of the lugs not perpendicular with the tubes or carved back as on the Dragon Fly, the drop outs look like aluminium rather than Ti. It's clearly "inspired" by Calfee's webbed design though and looks pretty cool to me!

Back