1985 Colnago Mexico

INDECS

Devout Dirtbag
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
Been lurking for a while but it's about time I'd contribute to the forum.

Recently I bought this beautiful 1985 Colnago from a former Belgian amateur racer (at a good price too). He was the first owner and only raced it from '85 to 86 just before he quit. After that it got used for the occasional recreational ride. When I bought it it had been sitting in the attic for quite some years.

I asked him if he knew the model name but he had no clue.
Maybe somebody on here can help me ID it? See below for pics.

Is it a Super/Superissimo/Mexico? The chromed headtube lugs seem to be quite rare...

As you can see it has a crimped top and downtube (only on the left and right side of the tubes). The BB shell features a Colnago clover.
It came equipped with Super Record front and rear mech, crankset, shifters, seatpost, Gran Compe Royal callipers and levers (the Exage aero levers where put on in a later stage) and a Hattaswan headset.
I'm in the proces of restoring it and already put in a better looking wheelset (the originals where grey anodized tubular Mavics, pretty worn) and a pair of Super Record callipers. Still looking for a nice pair of SR levers... also thinking about using a pair of aero Campa levers that I already have.
A nice white Rolls will be put on and ofcourse some white handlebar tape. Oh yeah, and the original SR pedals have been cleaned and will be installed.

a1s21f.jpg

xcolsi.jpg

33uejhj.jpg

'Indecs' - I already linked your name to NL the moment I spotted it when opening the topic, Mp regular ;)

Nice Colnago :)

Thanks for the comments people, so a Mexico it is?

@ Elev12k: yep, I'm that MP regular :cool:

btw, love your Koga stable... I also had a 1980 Gent's Luxe-S earlier this year, maybe you saw it on MP when it was for sale. Awesome bike but I ran out of space and it didn't see much usage.

Exactly like that one in similar condition (just a couple of minor paint chips)... only with a drilled stem and a size 58.
And 1/3 of that price :? Really hard to sell for some strange reason.
Should've tried eBay in hindsight.

Mine is in at least as nice condition as that one too and like yours in 58 flavour. I paid.... drums.... 45 euro including 4 new tubulars, clothing and old style leather cycling shoes in my size :cool:

The GentsLuxe-S (or equivilent 912) is a really neat frame, but I do miss the nice detailling like on the ProRacers and FullPros. In the same pearl orange I picked up a 1979 ProRacer a month ago. Minty too, but with the painted 'M' cutouts in lugs, lush stay-dropout connections and so on. Well, it was also considerably more expensive, so I could demand such things.

Elev12k":2ln93enj said:
In the same pearl orange I picked up a 1979 ProRacer a month ago. Minty too, but with the painted 'M' cutouts in lugs, lush stay-dropout connections and so on. Well, it was also considerably more expensive, so I could demand such things.
Like 600 CHF...? :p

No, it was another such an oppurtinity you've waited for for a long time. Finally you're lucky and some day someone is selling his or hers at a sympathic pricepoint. Still there was more money involved than with before mentioned GL-S.

There is a 79 ProRacer with AX spec up in Brabant atm.

Back