Kona's page

Sorry, I'm still trying to get to grips with uploading images. I've tried again here so hopefully it will work. If you can't see anything then try this link - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hvr511/3853975518/

yup, that kilauea reminds me of my bro's that was from the same vintage... very nice indeed sir!
as far as posting pics, i think you have to have made a certain number of posts before you can post any... am i wrong?

Thanks. This is a great site, I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago and it inspired me to sort my Kilauea out.

For the last few years it's been doing time as a commuter and winter road bike so last week the slicks, mudguards, lights, bell, computer and bar-ends came off and on went some new grips and the A and B Drive tyres that I found after much rummaging through the garage. On Saturday I headed for the hills for my first off-road ride since the summer of 1994!

There are still a few things to do: black saddle, restore or replace the stem which is looking fairly tatty and see if i can find a more elegant solution for the rear V brake cable than zip ties.

Meanwhile I'll enjoy looking at all the amazing Konas that are surfacing on this thread. I still really, really crave a 93 or 94 Hei Hei...

hewg":31ohhifs said:
see if i can find a more elegant solution for the rear V brake cable than zip ties.
You can either use the 'dog collar' that came with the frame (they were black in 1993 - you surely didn't throw it away?), or you can buy a clamp-on rear V-stop. The trouble with the clamp-on stops is that they are made for round tubes and Tange Prestige Concept is oval. If you buy one for a 28.6 tube, you may need to do a bit of creative work with your file to make it accommodate the Kilauea's 27 wide and 30 deep top tube.

I've got that collar somewhere but seem to remember the brake cable had sawn nearly all the way through it. I'll see if I can dig it out anyway. I'd been looking at those clamps so thanks for the top tube dimensions as I wondered what size I would need. Might give one of those a go.

Back