brakes!

what offroad brakes do you prefer on a retrobike?

• rim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • disc

• mix of rim and disc

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
id go with discs

my dmr has discs and can be ridden all winter long through hub deep mud with no problems

the kona on the other hand ruined a rim in a very short time when some grit got stuck in the pads and scored the rim . ive got hold of a ceramic rim but am worried the same will happen

nothing worse than riding and hearing that scraping sound

have a look at andy r explosif . he has put discs on it and it looks great . a classic frame and ride with the modern conveniences

I think it has to be rim brakes on retro rides, that lovely, gritty sound on braking in the mud/wet is all part of the experience :D

Hope capable GT fork

Disc.

1992 GT fork from my original Karakoram, custom brazed by Dave Yates to fit Hope mechanical calipers, the bosses ground off. Resprayed black.

It's currently sitting unused and unlikely ever to be. It fits 1 1/8" headsets and steerer tubes of 10cm length. If it's of any use to anyone for a restoration project send me a PM and make me an offer. It's stickered up as above.

Should point out my gripe is about wearing out rims rather than pads, although last set of rim pads set me back £16 at LBS :shock: (it was an emergency)

Have a disc-compatible P2 fork on Mrs P's Lava Dome so could play with that. Might look out for another tho'.

Disc tabs on the Explosif - hmmmmmm still thinking about that :twisted:

Current disc bike has cable operated shimanos on a huge Cape Wrath, so everything could be swapped over quite easily :D

Big boat is in Oban Bay. Beach is near the Marine labs.

I like the idea of discs but my Magura hs33's have been so good for so long that I'm reluctant to change. I'd give them a try.

Depends of course on the Retrobike....

Discs outbrake anything else, period.

My RC200 F6 is my only concession to discs on a bike that goes in the 97 and earlier thread. But none of my other "97 and earlier" bikes are getting used at the moment, with the exception of the Parkpre whích gets the occasional airing.

Consider maguras. You get most of the "feel" of discs without having to ruin your frame. And the blocks last reasonably well.

On a similar note, do you get different hardness's of brake block rubber. Are certain types of brake block more hardwearing than others. I ask as I have near worn out a new set in just one wet ride over the Pentland hills, quite abrasive mud up there :shock:

Back