Bob Jackson - New Groupset?

otherself":k356q8wp said:
Looks better than the original. Personally would of gone with classic/less aero wheels (i.e. open pros); not fond of rims with large colorful graphics but the red on them works in your favor here.

Ta for the good feedback.

I was unsure about the wheels... but the logos are only stickers, therefore I can remove them if I choose to go to the dark side! :)

She rides absolutely beautifully... and she climbs awfully well for a heavy road bike. I'm quite impressed.

Not sure though: Fat tape... or thin tape? I'm doing end to end this summer, so fat tape is tempting however I doubt it would look right on such a slim frame. Hmm.

Ok, so apart from the rather fat tape that I put on, I'm pleased with the end result:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

That just looks great. I read the topic from the beginning and I must say I was a bit disappointed when you told about the colour you were planning on... But in the end it all came together really nicely. I love seeing old road bikes with new components. Who will ever guess this bike is 40 years old??
I wonder though why you didn't go with some sti style brake/shift levers. That would really be the icing on the cake and would totally take the bike into the 21st century. It would also make you faster and it would fit you more as you're already used to them. Maybe if you decide the handlebar tape is too fat and want to put a thinner one on, you could take the opportunity to mount a pair of brake shifters.

PIGEON":2d4hvrnh said:
That just looks great. I read the topic from the beginning and I must say I was a bit disappointed when you told about the colour you were planning on... But in the end it all came together really nicely. I love seeing old road bikes with new components. Who will ever guess this bike is 40 years old??
I wonder though why you didn't go with some sti style brake/shift levers. That would really be the icing on the cake and would totally take the bike into the 21st century. It would also make you faster and it would fit you more as you're already used to them. Maybe if you decide the handlebar tape is too fat and want to put a thinner one on, you could take the opportunity to mount a pair of brake shifters.

It's funny you should mention STIs, as I have already purchased a set. :)

My original intention was to keep it as retro as possible... therefore I purchased the downtube shifters before the project even began...

...it was only when I looked at the contents of my garage, that I decided to make it a modern build. The STIs were therefore purchased.

The thing is... the downtube shifters are SO light compared to STIs that I'm very reluctant to fit them now.

Not only that, the downtube shifters put my shimano 105 STIs to shame - they are amasingly smooth and light to operate.

I really do dislike the tape though... and that will be sorted ASAP.

Many thanks for the positive feedback.

what a nice build, modern retro.

are you selling the all black aero brake levers you didn't use? I've got a similar build i've just started.

nemo

nemo":1rg3rse7 said:

are you selling the all black aero brake levers you didn't use? I've got a similar build i've just started.

nemo

Thanks for the feedback!

I managed to return them for a refund thankfully... SJSC have been very patient with me during my build.

I didn't like the quality of the tektros... the shimanos weren't much more money, but a big step up in quality and feel IMO.

Have you started a thread for your new build? :D

not my favourite style of bike but the paint looks fantastic! :cool: but i wouldn't expect anything less from the guys up there. they have done 3 frames for me in the last 2 years, and hopefully i'll be sending another one up soon :D

Oms":23nyzi2q said:
nemo":23nyzi2q said:

nemo

Thanks for the feedback!

I managed to return them for a refund thankfully... SJSC have been very patient with me during my build.

I didn't like the quality of the tektros... the shimanos weren't much more money, but a big step up in quality and feel IMO.

Have you started a thread for your new build? :D

have just started to collect parts, i'm going for a fixed build, possibly

will put up some pics of frame, need to look at getting some decals made

paint job looks good thinking of using Bob Jackson, how much was the respray?

I too would have liket to see it rise up in retro style,but hey,different strokes for different people,hats up to you,for making it live again.

Back