brakes!

what offroad brakes do you prefer on a retrobike?

• rim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • disc

• mix of rim and disc

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Ground down another set of rim brake pads today (admittedly they were a bit clapped out after Arran :roll: ) Accompanied by awful aluminium grinding noise, first from front, then rear wheels :oops: .
So started arguing with myself whether to keep my only disc brake bike (currently advertised for sale), or get a front disc, or get disc bosses welded onto the Explosif frame :shock: :shock:

I'm sure these ones have only lasted 300miles or so, mainly off road in hilly terrain :cry:

So what do you do - rims, disc or mixture?

Some pics of a rainy day at the beach.....

bianchi003.jpg

bianchi007.jpg

bianchi010.jpg

I'm sure these ones have only lasted 300miles or so, mainly off road in hilly terrain

300 miles :shock: ....we are talking rim brakes here aren't we? What are you complaining about........mine generally last a day in the Peaks or Afan if it's wet.......I must be braking too much :roll:

My disc pads on the other hand seem to last forever.....but where's the fun in that :twisted:

I've had discs,sold up then rebuilt and went to V's
I'd go with discs every time,which im trying to refit now :cool:

If you build a retro bike to be a retro bike then it should have rim brakes, and cantis at that. If you are building a bike to do a particular job and it just so happens that the frame is retro then go for it.

Go for a mix, get yourself a P2 with disc tab and fit an Avid or Shimano cable operated calliper. You can them keep the levers you had. In fact I have a front Bonty centrelock wheel you can have for cheap.

You did not mention other retro fit alternatives ie Drum Brakes or Roller brakes which would be my choice and after my recent pentlands meet are definitely going to be fitted to a bike soon.

Rollers are maybe not Vee or Disc level in terms of stopping but are at least canti level which is acceptably retro :D

Simple.

Fit canti brakes*.

Mine hardly touch the rim and when they do there is no power behind them :roll: :LOL:

Problem solved. Pads last forever.

*This should not be carried out under any circumstances.

:LOL: :LOL:

Back