Campy wheel in all Shimano bike

PIGEON

Retro Guru
Ok I know this must have been discussed millions of times before but I tried to find the answers I'm looking for using the search function but I didn't really understand much of the results..

I can get my hands on a set of Campagnolo wheels with 8 speed cassette, which I would like to put in my all Shimano Giant Cadex if possible. Both the 7 speed Shimano cassette that's on the Cadex now and the 8 speed Campagnolo cassette have a centre to centre spacing of 5mm. Does this mean I would be able to shift gears without any problem? Of course, as my shifter has only 7 clicks, I wouldn't be able to use the 8th sprocket but I don't really care about that because 7 speeds have always been enough for me.

Am I right of am I completely wrong? Thanks in advance for answering this question for the millionth time ;)

completely wrong

the cassettes are spaced differently, and the pulls all different

you need to get a shimano spaced special cassette (that will go on the campy hub)

or you need to relace the wheel with a shimano compatible hub and stick your casette on it

p.s.

it will index the first and last cogs, and maybe if your lucky a few will mesh, but badly, most gears you click to will be unreadable.

as i recall at least, thats what ive interpreted of my research of said subject.

wow the more I read about it, the more it seems like a bad idea that is best left alone.. But the wheels are so beautiful :evil:
I did find a cassette with Shimano splines and Campagnolo spacing but I need it to be the other way around and I need a 7 speed one, which I think doesn't exist.

The spacers used in S7 en C8 cassettes have different widths, but the thickness of the sprockets themselves makes up for that, resulting in a centre to centre spacing of 5mm in both cases. That's what it's all about isn't it?

I've also read this: "Campy 8-speed shifters and derailers use the exact same spacing as Shimano 7-speed stuff. You could use a 7-speed Shimano freehub and cassette along with a Campy 8-speed derailer and shifters with no problem whatsoever." If this setup works, shouldn't the combination of a C8 cassete with S7 shifter and derailer work too?

I'm sorry I don't want to come across like someone who doesn't take no for an answer but I'm confused by all these mixed signals and I really can't seem to grasp this.

PIGEON":1wkmvoa6 said:
I've also read this: "Campy 8-speed shifters and derailers use the exact same spacing as Shimano 7-speed stuff. You could use a 7-speed Shimano freehub and cassette along with a Campy 8-speed derailer and shifters with no problem whatsoever." If this setup works, shouldn't the combination of a C8 cassete with S7 shifter and derailer work too?
I think you're right that the Campy 8-speed cassette will work with the Shimano 7-speed shifter. Sheldon Brown confirms that the spacings are 5.0mm for both cassettes. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html

bwhsh8r":1wkmvoa6 said:
completely wrong
This was my initial reaction too xD

PIGEON":okh307po said:
I can get my hands on a set of Campagnolo wheels with 8 speed cassette, which I would like to put in my all Shimano Giant Cadex if possible. Both the 7 speed Shimano cassette that's on the Cadex now and the 8 speed Campagnolo cassette have a centre to centre spacing of 5mm. Does this mean I would be able to shift gears without any problem?
Yep, no problem at all. A Shimano 7-speed system will index a Campag 8-speed cassette perfectly.

Of course, as my shifter has only 7 clicks, I wouldn't be able to use the 8th sprocket but I don't really care about that because 7 speeds have always been enough for me.
Many shifters have travel beyond the last click that would allow you to reach the last sprocket. You might get lucky.

Dammit just when I plucked up the courage to just buy the wheels and see from there, I notice the seller already reserved the wheels for someone else :evil: :evil: :evil:
The guy will be collecting them tuesday, if he doesn´t like them th seller will contact me. Let´s hope the guy won't take them.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted!

oh haha

i guess it will work you got lucky ;)

i knew that campy 10 speed brifters will work with 8 speed shimano haha

p.s. my bad for not doing more research, sorry about that.

I've mixed Shimano and Campag 8speed with no worries. Don't think you can do it with later groups other than the 8/10 combo.

Please don't tell me how easy it is now chances are it's not going to happen at all :( lol I should have acted immediately but I really didn't know if it would work.. Ah well that's life I guess, lets just hope the guy will have second thoughts or something.

always check Sheldons website first otherwise you'll drown in the nonsense touted here - even if the 8spd cassette didnt index, if you run down tube shifters in friction mode, it doesnt matter.

Back