Stuck post

http://cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthrea ... ost&page=9

Real good discussion...

Page 9, the Chap gets the post unstuck. You can read how.

Those interested should read the whole thread.

What method used depends on whether you are using Carbon on Carbon (not me), Steel Frame, Aluminum Post, Steel on Steel, etc.

The above reference is steel frame, aluminum post and his final solution is a bit drastic with pictures there.

Steel on Steel, I'd just lubricate it with a fine penetrating oil.

The white lithium grease is an interesting twist as well.

Tombird":39kirqlr said:
Has anyone else managed to get a carbon post stuck in a carbon frame? I've tried everything I can think of to get it out (including Plus Gas), but to no avail :cry:

Try cooling it a lot. The same problem sometimes occurs with very expensive fly rods. Whatever you do do not use WD40 or similar as this will make the carbon swell. Not what you want!

Unfortunately (in my desparation) there is a cocktail of chemicals in there, including WD40!!! :oops:
Will Plus Gas have the same effect as WD40? I was thinking of letting it soak in the stuff for a while before I move to more to destuctive methods :evil:

I've tryed freezing it with aerosols, what would you recomend?

Cheers

I would avoid anything oil-based as it it likely to have some solvent reaction with the epoxy matrix for the carbon.

Tombird":14g83wa8 said:
It's scary. I think eventualy I'll work up the courage to saw the post off at the frame and then cut the remaining post into segments and snap them inwards to break them away.
:evil: :evil:

that really should be a last ditch option. it will definitely damage your frame.

if I were you I would try a slide hammer fiirst. You just need to find a way to bolt it to the seatpost then you should be able to shock the seatpost out gradually with the slide hammer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16-piece-Slid...in_3?hash=item3a526472d0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back