Stuck post

oldgit

Retro Guru
This old chestnut!
The post is well and truly stuck :x , I don't think it's been moved for sixteen years.
I'm in no hurry to budge it, and I'll only break it out if I can get a replacement.
Athena in steel frame.
Any ideas.

As mentioned above, but I've had luck by turning the bike upside down, and filling up the ST with PLUS GAS through one of the bottle bosses (unless of course you take the BB out and fill from there). Leave for a couple days or so and then clamp up seat pin in a large vice. From there you probably know the drill (I say no more as take no liability for any cracked/twisted seat clusters, etc)

You could try coke-a-cola before using plus gas as a cheaper alternative as this has been know to work.

good luck.

Cheers.
The Sheldon Brown article is usefull. The freezing option sounds good, I wonder if those instant freeze sprays plumbers use would work?
As you can probably tell I ain't no scientist.

oldgit":3s2i2jr6 said:
Cheers.
The Sheldon Brown article is usefull. The freezing option sounds good, I wonder if those instant freeze sprays plumbers use would work?
As you can probably tell I ain't no scientist.

Yup had a frost burn from one ...... bloody hurt !!!

Has anyone else managed to get a carbon post stuck in a carbon frame? I've tried everything I can think of to get it out (including Plus Gas), but to no avail :cry:

I think as Sheldon says, attach the seat to the post per Tombird's query. That with Gas Plus or other solid lubricants with time should be the best chance.

I had an ol' rusted chain the other day, I tried and tried but it was of no use.... so, maybe some problems can not be solved...

If one lacks muscle, maybe you know someone that can wrestle that pipe out but I was wrong in saying, I had not faced the situation before. I did and it was to get the saddle on the post and wrestle it out.

Tombird":z52gdhjl said:
Has anyone else managed to get a carbon post stuck in a carbon frame? I've tried everything I can think of to get it out (including Plus Gas), but to no avail :cry:

That is a frightening proposition. Cutting out the post will be easier, but so too will damaging the frame. :shock:

It's scary. I think eventualy I'll work up the courage to saw the post off at the frame and then cut the remaining post into segments and snap them inwards to break them away.
:evil: :evil:

Back