Rock Lobster pics

Duped ?

I also think that if in reference to
" The importer would then have their item branded with a name that would be marketable and create demand, - it could be said by doing so tricking their buying audience into thinking that they have something unique but actually they don't."

I would find this quite insulting if this is a quote aimed at me personnally ,
I am not in the habbit of being " duped " matey , as I have intelligence above that of the average Ducati factory assembler (wiring loom dept )

My frame number , indicates to me my bike was the tenth manufactured in 1999 and also the four digit serial number starts with "00" which indicates a tig welded steel frame . (see mombat achives for reference )

Also as far as I am aware , since 1996 Merlin Cycles have had the licence for the Rock Lobster name in the UK , so perhaps your info is a little out of date ?

don't know what your problem is Pete, why you find it of relevance to bring your point about Ducati into the debate is again odd, - perhaps it tells me that you are just looking for a messageboard fight which in my experience nobody ever wins? However I am glad that your intelligence is above the average Ducati assembler, - they are as you state assemblers, - and a lot of them are women who came from the nearby lingerie factory that closed in Bologna, comforting to know that a fellow MTB enthusiast sees himself above woman who put lingerie together, - the trick mate is as a man to learn the skill of how to get it off. ;) Oh and the wiring loom comes in from a 3rd party already assembled, - Ducati staff just put them into the bikes, - I have some photos that I took of the factory line if you would like to see?

As I said already, sorry that you have taken offence. The fact that you may think my commented about being tricked was aimed at you is again interesting, - it was not aimed at you, - it was actually a fact about the industry from the period that I was involved.

If you look at my signature you will see the period that my knowledge come from, - in those days NTi (I think) imported and distributed the Rock Lobster. NTi also distributed Yeti, Salsa, Ringle, Fat Chance. I recall seeing them in primary colours, - blue and red with yellow logos. As a shop we never traded them, - as I said at the time the frame was identical to the Orange Clockwork which we sold shed loads of.

I can see that you do understand the comment that I was originally making, in the the Rock Lobster brand is actually a marketing license. So not quite sure why you are getting the hump with me.

Interesting to read about Merlin Cycles and their statement
From Rock Lobster the Californian frame designer of excellent reputation Paul Sadoff
- It does NOT say that he designed the Rock Lobster frame, - it does say that he is a frame designer. So did he design for the Taiwanese? Did Lester at Orange employ him in the early days? Perhaps he did or maybe you could ask him how his frames came to be the same as others? I would be genuinely interested to know so perhaps I will stick around a bit longer to see where this goes.

It seems to me ,

From where I am sitting it seemed the reference "these frames" was a generalism and included my frame , I am not looking for a forum fight at all , but what I am trying to do is sell my bike , because I have just commited to buy another , and learned I am to be made redundant . Have you ever heard the term " planting a seed " ?
I am trying to set the record straight as to the authenticity of my own own frame , as your earlier references could be easily misconstruded that my frame is a far eastern product , which it isnt . So like I say the term "planting a seed" come to mind .

:shock: :cool:

I too have a Lobster....1993 Royal Blue version....

lobster007.jpg

Yours in yellow and red is awesome! :cool:

Nice .

Nice is that matey , i think we should set up a thread for all Rock owners , be it American or far Eastern , we could invite Merlin branded bikes too ?

Have ya cloned my Avitar ? Yours is duly christened "Dolly."

Pete .

Back