Who was your cycling hero?

I agree with you on lance . he came out really good this year , and there was a lot of praise for him in french press which is very unsual . he took time to speak to people on even play wih some kids .

Big Mig. Tim Gould & the 'Flying Scotsman :cool: :cool: And as the 'Stranglers' sang their are 'no more heros'

BMX:
Stu Thomsen & Harry Leary.
I saw the Harry Leary signature model bike in a shop in Oostend when I was a kid. I'd still love one now.

Freestyle:
Bob Haro, Eddie Fiola, Mike Dominguez.

Road/ track:
Merckx, Robert Millar, Graeme Obree, Nicole Cooke.

MTB:
All the people featured (and not featured) in "Klunkerz".
Riders, explorers, klunker-scavengers, frame-designers, problem-solvers, scene-builders.

More inspiring to me than NORBA racers or MTB podium celebrities.

Simple, My father.

Not a big name, not even a great cycling fan but he is the one who encouraged me and supported me on my many cycling (mis)adventures when I was younger.

He helped me build my first bikes, he encouraged me to use them, then skipping forwards a few years the numerous times he drove out to collect me from random hamlets in the middle of the North York moors after I had gotten my self stranded for one reason or another.

Cheers dad!

abdoujaparovstyrt1.jpg

lemond.jpg

hubner1_2.jpg

Harry Hill!!!

I know his story but had to make sure of his name, though he was only a Bronze medallist, he passed away in Jan. this year I'm sure, this was talked about here. His story is real heroic.

What impresses me is that after he got back from the 1936 Summer Olympics in Germany, he rode his same bike back to his home in Sheffield.

He was the oldest surviving male Olympic Medal winner and he rode and practised his cycling in the streets of then Nazi Germany during the games because he couldn't find a better place.

He did more, you can read about it below.

http://www.middletonguardian.co.uk/news ... ing_legend

http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/radclif ... superstar/

Joop Zoetemelk...... He started the Tour de France 16 times and finished every time, a record. He won the race in 1980 and also came eighth, fifth, fourth (three times) and second (six times). He won the world professional road championship in 1985 at 38.

at home it was zak carr, my friendand work out partner down the gym, on a global level phil anderson & chiappucci....

Being a triathlete as a teenager, I firstly loved Jurgen Zack and Thomas Hellreigel... and Pauli Kiuru, but for his voice rather than his cycling.

Back