1980 Alan Fixed

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After trying some frames and different parts, I have finally found the combination I like most for my SS project. Here the specs:

Frame & Fork: 1980 Alan

Headset: Shimano Dura-Ace
Stem: Shimano 600AX
Handlebar: [old MTB, shorted]
Grips: BBB cork

Brake: Shimano 600AX
Brake Lever: Cane Creek Crosstop

Cog: Phil Wood (15t)
Chain: Shimano XT
Cranks: Shimano 600AX
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Ofmega (44t)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Shimano 600AX

Hub Skewers: Shimano Dura-Ace
Rims: Campagnolo Strada
Hubs: Shimano Dura-Ace
Tyres: Vittorio Rubino

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: Campagnolo (Alan)

Weight: 8kg

alanss1.jpg

alanss2.jpg
alanss3.jpg

I am really happy with the clean and slim look!

It's a good looking bike but although a single speed can do with only one brake, it has to be a rear one. Just a front brake is just dangerous. You're in luck though because the brake you're using up front is in fact a rear brake. The difference is the direction in which the brake pads slide out of the calipers, if you install the brakes the wrong way around you run the risk of the rims pushing the pads out of the calipers. So move the brake to the rear and if you also have a front brake lying around, sell it to me :D I'm looking for a front 600 ax brake so if you have it and want to sell it, hit me up ;)

I don't know the brand of the waterbottle. When I was trying to complete the whole 600AX group, I found someone who was selling a NOS bottle, but by the time I contacted him it was sold. He had another aero bottle, no 600AX though, which I bought.

That about the brake is very interesting! I actually know it is the wrong one. When I polished the brake and was about to mount it, I noticed I did the wrong one! Lazy as I am, I didn't feel doing the other as well, so I just swapped the bolt, not realizing the brake shoe issue. Thanks for that.
I also know about the discussion of having only a front or rear brake. For me, the decision to use a front brake is mostly based on the cleaner looks (no cable).
Depending on future plans, I might part out my 600AX group. Although I have the whole group, my plans have changed. I will let you know when I do!

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

I bought a nos AX bottle couple of months ago :oops: Could have been me? It was a tenner or so. I were unlucky too as the seller was also selling two Campa aero examples for the same money... I missed out on them.

Nice bike Senri. I think with the cool, clean optics the frame already has you choose a great basis for a fun fixie/ss kind of build.

It is a couple of months ago, yes. The guy came from Nijmegen and is actually working for Giant. Anyway, the Alan frame is perfect for such a build, as most parts are just bolted on, like cable clips and shifter pinions.

PIGEON":2k1q5d3q said:
It's a good looking bike but although a single speed can do with only one brake, it has to be a rear one. Just a front brake is just dangerous.

Good call and well spotted about the rear brake fitted up front as a bad idea.

It's a fixed wheel so it makes more sense to have a front brake in this particular case though.

Oh yeah I didn't realize it was a fixed gear, I thought it was a single speed with freewheel. In that case you get kudos for running a brake at all ;)

Back