n00b help required !

hjworton

Dirt Disciple
Hello all,

hoping I can get some advice on building a retrobike.

Just bought a Colnago frame on ebay(I have always dreamt of riding a Colnago since watching the TDF in the 80s as a kid). It's described as being a 'Super' from the early 80s. Size-wise it looks as if it is going to measure-up pretty much perfectly for me - my daily ride is a Cannondale Caad5 and the dimensions look similar.

What sort of kit should I be looking to pair with this frame ? Should I go totally retro and seek out a vintage groupset ? Will a more modern set even fit ? Please excuse my ignorance, I am enthusiastic but dumb at the moment. Am hoping with help I can build a rideable beauty. I am pretty sure I will be enlisting the help of my LBS in the job, they seem pretty cool and helpful in there...

All and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ps - The other stuff I know so far are that the rear spacing is 125mm and the bottom bracket is 36x24T Italian.

Thanks ! :)

As you have a daily ride. You will be using this frame as 'weekender' ride? If so then you could go for a complete period build. Most modern kit will fit your frame (as far as i know)

I wouldnt be against riding modern kit on an older steel frame. After all, clipless pedals and ergo levers are a dfinite boon.
The only thing I would suggest is keeping it Italian. A Colnago with shimano would be a no-go for me.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about Shimano on Italian bikes, but if the bike is a rider its more important to spec bits that are functional and do what you want - say you hate Ergolevers but like the clicky perfection of Shimano - then go for whatever floats your boat.

Parts-wise I think you have to be careful to strike a balance between functional kit and gear that is in keeping with your bike. If you are planning on putting a fair few miles on a bike there's nothing worse than worrying about scuffing those NOS cranks you fought so hard for on the 'Bay. And downtube shifters might be more "right", but...no.

My last two bikes have been sympathetic rather than in keeping with the year the frame was made. I've got a Dura Ace 7700 groupset on one bike, but there's no way I would have bought anything newer or older. I've got another bike with a *modern* 10-speed Campag group but I'd rather stare directly into the sun than fit either of them with outboard bottom brackets.

As everybody is saying, it really is about striking a balance. Speaking from experience, having rare/expensive/impossible to replace NOS parts on your bike (any bike) can go two ways, you'll be cycling pleased as punch knowing you have it exactly as you want or imagined, or you will cycle less and less because of the fear of damaging/scratching/chippng anything.

If you really want to use it and are a bit of a fearful fairy like me, finding used but period bits may be the option, less sentimental and less of a ball breaker should you prang something.

Thanks for the advice everyone. The frame finally arrived this morning and it is as described. Few paint chips here and there but nothing to bother me really - I want to ride it not look at it.

I have managed to find both a modern Record crank and BB so far, and will add bits as I can afford to. I will stay with Record if I can. I have been advised that, in terms of the front mech, it will either be a 28.6mm or a braze-on. No idea what the latter is - the mechs are the next part I aim to sort out.

Anyway, will update when I have some more news.

Cheers

Back