Early Quintana Roo info wanted.

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've bitten the bullet and bought a 650c specific frame to house my 650c wheels. Its an early steel lugged Quintana Roo time trial/triathlon frame and forks. I've had a rummage round the web and not found any this early. I've e-mailed the US distributor and he doesn't remember any lugged frames. He's been with the importer since 1999 so says it must be pre 99. Does anyone have any info or know of anyone I could contact to find out more? Its just nice to know what you've got :D
Paint is very thick so as far as i can make out the frame number is U00828037 the 2 being stamped using an upsidedown 5. Any info greatfully recieved.
Thanks
Mike

Nice! I'd love to see pics.

Quintana Roo was started by Dan Empfield and started out making wetsuits for triathletes and open water swimmers... soon after he/they started making frames too. The certainly did do lugged bikes, I'm pretty sure he wasnt personally the buidler but I think it will be a good quality frame. They are generally STEEP and fast, and long.

Dan is now Mr. slowtwitch.com", a fantastic website mainly dedicated to triathlon but also covers other endurance sports. Most importantly for you, he is the worldwide authority on triathlon bike fit, he has created the F.I.S.T. fit system of accreditation. He knows a LOT about triathlon and triathlon bikes.

Also, he collaborated with Merlin to make the Merlin Aerial, which is my tri bike. It's out of this world fast and came with a QR cabonaero fork. Apparently the Aerial has exactly the same geometry as some of the 'QR tri bikes.

Again, I'd love to see a pic of your frame! I've only seen one other lugged roo before and it was beautiful.

I bought it of here from Mattscm. I'll put some pics up when I get it back from my(not so) LBS. He'd been running it with mountain bike wheels which have wider hubs, so the frame is being tracked back straight and he's facing of the headtube and turning down the fork crown from 27.0 to 26.4 so I can fit a standard headset. As its designed to be run with tri bars its v.short(hence my search for a long quill stem) and due to it being for 650 wheels its also very low. Should be rapid though :D

Hi. It was being run with a cheap Campag hub. Avanti? thus it should be about 130mm but came to me with a 7 speed suntour hub so probably started as 126mm . did get a reply from QR when I asked about tubing years ago and they said it was a good quality steel but couldn't tell me what exactly. Can't remember why. I got the frame about 98 so it would predate the importers, which maybe why I took for ever to get anywhere. Must say I was looking around in the days before broadband, forums etc and my contact to QR was via paper!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back