Pentlands 23rd August 1030-11 Dreghorn Services

Route has now been planned, most of it self evident and thus OS map free, least ways thats the theory.

Starts from the minor road on the south side of the Dreghorn junction of the A720. Follows the trail we finished off on last Sunday until we reach the building at the bottom of the fast descent. We then turn right (westward) and proceed along landrover track until we finally hit a field boundary, probably a wall. Turn right and follow boundary on single track which eventually passes Bonaly reservoir and starts to skirt Capelaw hill.
Follow down trail and fast descent to road where I dinged my wheel rim yesterday. Follow road down toward Flotterstone but then head left up hill on single track toward Castlelaw. Climb to summit of Castlelaw on landrover track and catch breath. Finally descend along fast loose track which eventually becomes the fast descent from yesterday back to Dreghorn. Should be a good mix of trails and climbing with a blistering descent for a finisher :D

Any interesting tweaks anyone wants to suggest will be considered ;)

Just hope no rain as your pretty exposed on them thar hills :D

i'm up for it , might fit some bar ends with a xrt remote shifter for some slick shifting :D

where will i leave my motor ? is there parking at the services ?

I think there's parking across the flyover. The OS map says so, and it kind of looked like it yesterday since me and The Ken passed pretty close.

Route looks good, should be a no bad work out on the SS. Also bags a shot on Velo's Trek if he's bringing it.

Hmmm, possible detour to the Flotterstone Inn before the climb up the firing range? How upmarket is it these days? Would they have a problem with several smelly Macretroers descending for a quick pint?

So all in all was the route youse done worthwhile? Old school XC or what?Is it worth travellin for?

Kaiser I enjoyed/endured it, I have a rose tinted view and had I been fitter I would have enjoyed it more, although the route was short it was knackering, and other than the hike part (due to old knowledge and fading tracks and memories) it was a good run.

I think we almost got it right...
My suggestion would be to do the same route but from dreghorn using the short field crossing and route up the steps (you know where I mean zigzag) and then down to last weeks start point. Continue on last weeks route to the bottom off the first big downhill and head out to flotterson from there.

Velo, "passes Bonaly reservoir and starts to skirt Capelaw hill." half of this is the hike part we did last week, reverse direction but boggy none the less and misses most of that great first down hill.

I say all this with no intention of turning up :)

ZigZag, Treks no coming, cannot get it to fit me right :?

So building up my Giant Boulder DS, the only full susser I own :shock:

In veiw of that mouthy bloke from Dundee's comments we may use his proposed early bit to get the full first DH bit in all its glory. ZigZag will have to lead this bit as he seems to know where it goes according to said Dundonian :roll:

As for parking, if coming from the west on the A720, exit at Dreghorn Junction, cross the bypass via the overpass to the Pentland side then turn right onto the bypass on ramp then shortly left before the bypass onto a minor road that goes nowhere in particular and park your motor. Big Eck do you still want to meet at the services and be directed by me or are you alright yourself ;)

Kaiser, the Pentlands are worth travelling for, admittedly they're not overly technical, but they are a good old school slog up and down hills, over burns, around reservoirs on single track and farm track. Like Arran really but on Edinburghs doorstep.

i'll be fine fiding the layby , that was where i went the first time lol

i can't wait to get my wheelie machine up the pentlands :D :D :D

The Ken":2e3pg43i said:
Velo, "passes Bonaly reservoir and starts to skirt Capelaw hill." half of this is the hike part we did last week, reverse direction but boggy none the less and misses most of that great first down hill.
Hmmm, I didn't realise we'd miss that when I first read Velo's route, but you are right. I don't think we want to miss any of the downhill between Harbour and Bell's Hill - for me that's the highlight - it has a little bit of everything thrown in, rutted track at the top, then a run down what is almost a burn, some narrow ledge with a wee drop at the end (if you choose), more ruts... then the trail opens up a bit, becomes faster, with loose stone underneath. You've also got several stone lined run-offs that break the track every so often that you need to keep an eye out for, some fast sweepers and tight corners, then onto a short bit of hardpack with a dip that can get interesting if taken too fast and/or if it's been raining, then a final fast run down to the rocky bit at the bottom (brakes, brakes!).

So I'm thinking we could actually stay with Velo's route with my suggestion in bold below - To be honest, it'd be good to miss the section that me and The Ken did after leaving Velo, since there's some crappy steep pushes and also stairs, plus some lovely jaggies when you do finally get on the bike - only the wee bit at the end as you approach the burn and dodgy bridge are worth doing IMO.... Soooo, here's what i think:

Turn right and follow boundary on single track which eventually passes Bonaly reservoir and starts to skirt Capelaw hill. Follow the trail until you reach a crossroads (if you look at the sat map on bikehike zoomed in, you can see there is a crossroads on the trail between Harbour and Capelaw hills). Turn right and follow the track upwards cresting Harbour Hill and back down to the top of the first downhill section. Follow down trail...

I've been up to the top of Harbour Hill, and there is a decent track there. It's pretty steep, so there'll definitely be some walking involved but I don't think we want to miss out that first downhill. Plus you get two bonuses - a great view from the top of Harbour Hill, and an extra wee bit of downhill as you come down the other side, not particulary technical, but it's fast and there is a tricky wee dip near the bottom to catch out the unwary.

Kaiser - if you're worried that it's a long way to come for not a lot of riding, then we could always do another lap, but this time doing a westward loop and take in some more of Edinburgh's finest.

Also we really should try and stop at Flotterstone Inn for drinksies - it'd break up the run quite nice.

ZigZag, your in charge of the Dreghorn to Flotteston leg of the trip, the pressures on you now :LOL:

Come on West Coasters, you'll love it and like us you'll find it hard to believe Edinburgh's so close.

Velo

Back