Brighton bigdog afttermath

Aye it was a good weekend.

I was really stoked with my 3rd position in the solo retro, I'd only finished off the Prestige on Wednesday, so was a bit aprehensive about riding it for six hours. The Pace forks were a little flexy but other than that it performed faultlessly. The bike was built specifically for the event but I was really stingy and the total cost of everything including the purchase price of the bike was £113!! Now that's cheap racing. :D

My wife had a go at the Onder Dog and managed to super-man (woman?) over the bars but otherwise had a good lap. She loved the downhills but didn't think much of the uphill. Good on her for giving it a go.

It was good to meet some new folk, hopefully we'll meet up again soon.

Cheers.

SP

I did a wonderdog lap in 55mins

fastest racers were doing around 35 mins.

wasn't many downhills - the 2nd up hill hit me hard

Monkeeee01":v7yxaow9 said:
I did a wonderdog lap in 55mins

fastest racers were doing around 35 mins.

wasn't many downhills - the 2nd up hill hit me hard

I did the wonderdog in 69 mins and was limited to granny ring and gears 6,7 & 8. The blonde podiumkiss girl (pictured above) said I should've got a prize for effort. Never did though! Pleased to beat people with all their gears working properly though. :D

Hi. Good event. I dragged my old Breezer out for it, wish I had put a granny ring on though, 32x32 bottom gear meant walking a couple of hills! I also have to admit to walking two downhills as well due to a combination of rigid forks, v brakes making all sorts of noises and the desire to live lol. Still fun though and I was laughing getting over those fallen trees and bunny hopping little roots etc, did the underdog one lap thing in 52 minutes.

I took a few photos before and after which are in the link below, if anyone wants any larger copies then message me on here http://www.complexdreams.com/pics/bikes/Races/Brighton Big Dog Enduro 15th August 2009/

Seemed to be a very good event from a spectating (makes a change :LOL: ) point of view. Nice to catch up with the usual suspects and meet a few new ones. :)

Jimmy was also impressed, so much so that I think he will race next year which is amazing as he hasn't chucked a leg over a bike in anger since the 'watery mishap' at MM07. :roll:

The bike jumble was good - managed to get a few bits and pieces at reasonable prices.

I managed to grab a few pics on Mr K’s camera – not sure how they came out though?

And apologies to the people that I didn’t get chance to say goodbye to – we had a prior engagement and had to shoot off in the afternoon.

I'm still sore around the bottom from the race!
Really really good, it was nice to see lots of Retrobikers as they sped past me. At about 3 minutes left I got horrific chainsuck in that grassy field of horribleness, sorry if anyone heard my salty language. I vaguely recall a pretty Klein and a jellybean Salsa going very fast past me in the rooty woods.
Skinsuits make a bit of sense for racing in...

What a good race that was, course was pretty tough with few places to recover, and loads of superfun singletrack to blat about on. Oh and wasps for the first lap to help get you up a particularly nasty climb :? Big respect to Splatterpaint for a podium in retro solo, I had massive cramp on my fourth lap and only just gave Heathy enough time to squeek his final lap in before the 6pm cutoff.

Loads of people riding old bikes, not just in the retro solo category which was good to see, lots of encouragement and interest out on course.

Theres a good selection of pix up on this site; bigdog pix which has been posted by a person on STW, included in it is The Guv'nor going hard on his onerdog lap on the Klein. (and me chasing him down a few pix later on my Pace :D )

Back