Raleigh Mustang Resto

RALEIGH MUSTANG

:D now thats what im talking about!!
i had one in a black faded to a redish brown.inherited from my bro.
i like pro bikes but were beyond my wallet then and now so,its nice to see some street level retro that most folk did own.
that bb area has come good between photos looked well rusted and possibly set on fire at some point!
as you expect from 13 year old lad i had no respect for preservation and immediately started tuning...by "tuning" i mean remove rear mech guard and scraped together for some 70gs shifters as rapid fire was the 'thing' by then.but,do you know what?..back then i know nothing(or cared)for maintenance,lubrication...but it never let me down!
good work mate. :)

tuercas":11cm1lz9 said:
I had one just like this:

PICT0752.JPG

Brings back some memories.... :eek:
:cool:

my mate used to have one of those, I think it was a brown & champagne fade paint job IIRC

First mountain bike I ever had a go on was a mates Mustang. Was the first 'ATB' in the village and we all thought it was ace. I wanted a green and white Apollo Blizzard at the time. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Andy B":244fozap said:
my mate used to have one of those, I think it was a brown & champagne fade paint job IIRC

If I remember correctly, that was the 5 speed one in the first issue range, then there was this one (15 speed), the top of the range was 21 speed, a burgundy colour, quite a nice bike really.

77grifter":18ys0nps said:
Is that a Maverick?

Yes, it was the from the first range, in 1985, the frames were lugged as you can see, here´s the ad that ran when they were launched:

Attachments

• raleigh maverick.jpg
    raleigh maverick.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 6,168
Loving this thread, Old raleighs hold special memories for me also, That Maverik in particular is the 1st MTB I ever saw and rode way back when 23" frames were the way to go, A freind of mine had a nasty injury involving the toptube cable guide and his nut sack ........... put me off this model subsiquently :LOL:

The mustang is also cool, they even made a kids version in 20" wheel

I have had my fair share of raleigh bikes and worked in local raleigh bike shop between 1990 and 1992 during the launch of dynatech and the summit etc etc.

From memory in order of mustang colour schemes;

white/ black
Purple fade
Dark red fade (SIS)
Orange / Purple

Latest posts

Back