Noisy Zondas??

PIGEON

Retro Guru
I recently recieved my newly purchased 2nd hand bike which came with a set of Campangnolo Zonda 16 HPWs. I have never ridden Campy wheels before and I don't think anyone I know has a pair either. When I assembled the wheels I noticed the sound in the freewheel is rather loud. Riding around with them is no problem at all, but as soon as I stop pedaling it makes a lot of noise. The sound in itself isn't really alarming, it's just that it's so loud that worries me a bit. Is this normal?

Hehe ok thanks :D

I tried to look it up with google (probably a smart thing to do before making forum posts.. :p ) and indeed it seems to be normal. It's comforting to know I'm not riding around with wheels that are badly worn down or something.

I thought this post was going to be about the super car 'Zonda' :oops: :LOL:

Zondas

Greasing can help but you get a dull ratchety noise rather than a hollow metallic ratchety noise.

It will help them in the long run though.

Ok so where do I grease the wheel and what kind of grease should I use? Compared to the Shimano rear wheel on my other roadbike, the Campagnolo sounds like it resonates in some kind of soundbox, whereas the Shimano wheel produces a more flat and dry ticking sound.

wheels

Its just the hollow hub shell. Grease the freehub ratchet mechanism with ordinary 'car' grease. You'll get a tin of the stuff from Halfords or somewhere - Castrol do it, or Halfords own. Lasts for years.

You'll get the freehub off with the right spanners, check the instructions online here for the age of your wheels:

http://www.tuttobici.us/media.php

Back