1992 'Dale BotE M800 update 27/8/09

cheesey

Senior Retro Guru
Obtained the frame recently from MAXTHEROTTI (cheers for that) and have a few parts (mostly period-ish) ready to go, there is still a long way to go on this but thought I would start here, and provide updates along the way, funds for decent kit is the biggest obstacle, but I believe I am mostly there.....

1990 LX Chainset (NOS)
XT BB
Ringle Moby post (bargain at £15!!)
Fred Salmon bar stem combo in 'Ti patina' (NOS)
XT rear mech
LX front
XT V-brakes (not entirely retro but won't look out of place plus I got the whole set for £30 NOS
LX Brake Levers (NOS)
Sell Italia roadie saddle (newish)
Ritchey foam grips

Campag Stheno rims on XT hubs (from slimjoe - again thanks!) NOS

Have a pair of Pepperonis lined up (hopefully) but am saving for them at the moment! I phoned Bob Jacksons (who sprayed the frame) and they are doing the forks for £30 to match!

I am building this bike up for road use, due to it's low weight and pretty lightweight build, this will be used for London to Brighton duties! (I have XC racebike/DH bike/jump bike/SS Kona....) This will have 1.2 slicks on it! :(

Anyway, thought I'd share some photos and looking forward to getting on with the build...

s1050472.jpg

s1050473.jpg

mongooseteam057188.jpg

mongooseteam058110.jpg

mongooseteam063407.jpg

Thats gonna be slick :cool: your right should be very light too :D

kaiser":2888dsco said:
Thats gonna be slick :cool: your right should be very light too :D

Thanks Kaiser, I am really looking forward to it....!!! :)

I guess what's left (when I have any spare money) is:

Forks
Shifters
cassette
pedals/toe clips
Some Schwalbe Kojaks in 1.2 flavour

Have all the pre-cut cables ready, so I think that's about it!

Trying to find a nice stem cap in silver :)

that's going to look really nice; love white mtb's :D

for the front fork, are you considering a black pepperoni?

GoldenEraMTB":lxenujgi said:
that's going to look really nice; love white mtb's :D

for the front fork, are you considering a black pepperoni?

Thanks matey! Yeah I think she should turn out nice!! :)

That's the plan, either black, or get them to spray the forks to match the frame (Itallian metallic white)

Gotta save the pennies though, the forks are going to have to be shipped from Oz, and including shipping, gonna cost me about £100!!

Seller said he would hang onto them for a bit for me...

Your M800 looks sweet in white, see loads of red ones and a couple of black ones in my time never seen a white one till now... :D

Mint mate... :cool:

Righto, the bits are starting to come in...

First up we have a brand new set of Surly forks in gloss black. The reason I chose these is because of the diameter of the legs (not too skinny because of the 'dales oversize tubing, and the fact that they don't taper in too much, they had the lowest A-C height (to keep the front end low) and look great (and really look good against the cannondale graphics), they and the V-brakes/saddle/pedals are the only 'modern' touches, although the forks don't look out of place by any means.... neither do the pedals and V-brakes....

s1050497.jpg

Then my wheels turned up from Slimjoe, very light and lovely to look at, the pictures don't do them justice!! Loving the Stheno rim profile.

s1050483.jpg

s1050482.jpg

s1050481.jpg

s1050481.jpg

Then I bought some Onza Track pedals, toeclips (no straps) and some pedal spinners to flip 'em right way up, all in silver. Bought these as I have size 10/11 feet and like a good solid platform, and wanted something 'period' looking...

s1050496.jpg

Tomorrow (hopefully) a few more bits turn up:
Cassette
Chain
Cables (gear and brake)
Some lithium grease
headset spacers

8 Speed LX Shifters will be here at the end of the week (from Courderoyboy)

That's about it, all-in-all the build has cost me about £400!!!

Am expecting it to weigh in at approx 21/22lb

I just need some nice black ano cage bolts and some ferrules (just get these from the LBS)

Good times :D

Rolling chassis:

s1050498.jpg

s1050499.jpg

s1050500.jpg

s1050501.jpg

Nice and clean don't you think? Obviously there's nothing on it lol, but it shall be kept as clean as possible!

What do you think?

:D

Back