Festival of pain - The Alps on a Corsa Extra

Ed looks amazing :D definitely in my bucket list. Did you make the correct bike choice decision?

last time me and mrs were at the galibier it was like that. Pantani stopped on the descent to cape up and then cracked on to take 9 minutes out of Ullrich at deux alpes. A grim day for cycling. Fortunately we took the car out that day.
Back at the campsite, the dutchmen partied all day cos Ullrich had lost. Boy, can they sup ale those dutchmen. By tea time the bar was out of stock.

kaiser":3fpvhpjm said:
Ed looks amazing :D definitely in my bucket list. Did you make the correct bike choice decision?

Did not regret my bike choice once, only issue was a snapped seatpost binder bolt when I lowered the saddle slightly to give a more comfortable seated climbing position. Quick trip to Le Hardware Store and a rudimentary but effective solution was fashioned. Didn't see many other steel bikes/quill stems/downtube shifters but a slightly tatty purple De Rosa Nuovo Classico caught my eye.

A couple more photos - the top of the Galibier was worse than it looks (heavy rain for the last 6km or so and then, at the summit, a hailstorm) and the lake is about 250m climb above Alpe d'Huez.

Attachments

• Lac de Besson.JPG
    Lac de Besson.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 920
  • EE Galibier summit.JPG
    EE Galibier summit.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 920
Back